Help! Sugar Flowers Going Soft! My Wedding Next Week!

Decorating By Boogalooshamoo Updated 12 Sep 2013 , 9:12pm by Cakespirations

Boogalooshamoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Boogalooshamoo Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 8:01pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone, It is my wedding next weekend and i'm making my own wedding cake. (I've made 3 before for other people). I have been making sugar flowers and leaves for my secret garden cake but to my horror when I checked them tonight they've all gone soft and floppy! 

I'm using proper flower paste from my local cake shop. This has never happened before, they have always gone hard and been ready for sticking on the cake within a few days when left out. 

I've just moved to a very old cottage and it's a bit cold and damp even in September.

Could this be the problem? I'm getting in a bit of a panic now so any help would be appreciated. Should i try putting them in sealed container?

Thank you! 

5 replies
howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 8:10pm
post #2 of 6

If you put them directly into a sealed container, there's no place for the humidity to go. Aside from remaking them with a stiffer material (gumpaste, fondant with tylose), I would have one of those cheap heater fans blow on them and see if that starts to dry them up. By cheap heater fans, I mean the kind they sell in the grocery store for $15 - not something that actually heats up a room (even though I guess those are supposed to). If it works, you might put them in an air tight container with a desiccant packet.  If you live in a notoriously humid area, maybe they are sold locally for drying out closets, etc.

I often use the little heater fan to dry my fondant/tylose pieces faster, but I've never tried airtight containers with desiccant.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 8:24pm
post #3 of 6

Definitely not a sealed container.  You need them shielded from dust and debris, but in a good air flow to dry out.

KatieKake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieKake Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 8:24pm
post #4 of 6

You might try putting them in the oven with the light on, the heat from the light will help dry them out, you will probably have to prop up the petals, with something, cotton, foil, to help them keep their shape drying.  Other wise, I would suggest you make your own gum paste, ( Nicky Lodge recipe is great) or add tylose to what you have already, and remake the flowers.  One week with all you have to do may not be enough time, Could you order them on line, or perhaps buy them from a local decorator, if you give CC your home town, there may be a decorator who can help you right in your home town.

Good luck

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 9:05pm
post #5 of 6

If you don't have a room with AC  you can keep a fan over them.  I have a lot of humidity right now also.  I have been putting mine in boxes with flower drying powder in a stocking from the craft store.Do NOT let the powder touch the flowers but like Leah said - you still need good air flow.

Cakespirations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakespirations Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 9:12pm
post #6 of 6

I would put them in the oven with just the light on. Outside of humidity this shouldn't happen with sugar paste, plus never have them sealed into anything air tight. I store mine in card board boxes with stuffing. I firmly believe that cardboard boxes help to aid in the drying process for me. There may not be science to it but I am sticking with it ;)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%