Wedding Cake Charge?

Decorating By DGbcs Updated 16 Sep 2013 , 2:19am by DGbcs

DGbcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DGbcs Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 7:45pm
post #1 of 5

AI am doing a wedding cake and have a base price in place per slice. While I sell many other types of cakes, wedding cakes are "newer" to me so I am not sure how much extra to charge b/c the person wants a design using impression mats. How much extra do you experienced wedding cake makers feel is reasonable charging, knowing I will have to buy 2 specific impression mats for this project? Sure, I can use them again, but don't know how often I will be so I feel its necessary to charge a tad extra since I will be ordering these mats online for this project and the cake is really, really inexpensive since I am newer to wedding cake making. I am wanting to do "x" amount extra for the order, not extra per slice. Thoughts?

4 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 7:54pm
post #2 of 5

AIf you're not sure if you will use the impression mats again, assume you will not and charge the customer the full price of the mats plus your standard markup.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 7:57pm
post #3 of 5

Personally I don't charge extra for wedding cakes, and I don't charge extra for having to buy new tools. Unless it was something super specific that I know I would never use again - in which case I would discuss with the bride, or even ask her to change the design, or decline the order if it wasn't in my economic interest to do it. 

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 9:18pm
post #4 of 5

AI might if it was something I wouldn't use again. I'd reach out first to local decorator friends or FB friends and see if you could rent it first.

DGbcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DGbcs Posted 16 Sep 2013 , 2:19am
post #5 of 5

AThanks everyone, for your thoughts. I really appreciate it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%