Baking With A 12" Pan

Decorating By arabesquechica Updated 12 Sep 2013 , 10:16pm by Marielijah

arabesquechica Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 5:35pm
post #1 of 8

AHello,

I will be making my first 12" cake in a few weeks. I have read in a few recipes (the cake bible) that with larger pans you decrease the levening agents but I wasn't sure why. I will be baking the King Arthur tender white cake recipe with a few slight modifications; does anyone know if I will need to decrease the baking powder for this recipe? I am of course going to do a dry run but I didn't want to waste cake if anyone already knew the answer.

7 replies
NJsugarmama Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 6:02pm
post #2 of 8

AThe cake bible formula for the white, yellow, and chocolate is what I use. I love it. Rose explains in that the BP needs to be decreased because the surface area is larger in a 12" than say a 6". Larger amounts of BP will weaken the structure since the inside takes much longer to bake.

As far as dryness, get yourself a spray bottle and add simple syrup. Spray it on each layer after it has been torted, right as you are assembling with your filling. It doesn't really need it, but I add it for piece of mind:). I do this with all the layers.

Let me know if you have any questions about the formula and the Rose factors.

MimiFix Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 6:04pm
post #3 of 8

I've baked many wedding cakes of all diameters using recipes I scaled up from small home-sized quantities. I have never made any adjustments for leaveners.

arabesquechica Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 6:07pm
post #4 of 8

AThanks so much!!! That makes total sense!! I am going to try the cake bible recipes and see if I like them better!!

arabesquechica Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 6:10pm
post #5 of 8

AThanks!

Marielijah Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 10:08pm
post #6 of 8

I read about the Cake Bible... where can I purchase one of those and is that the actual name of the book?  Who is the author?

shanter Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 10:10pm
post #7 of 8

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0688044026/?tag=cakecentral-20+Cake+Bible+Rose+Levy+Beranbaum

Looks like the best price is used, $6.58 plus shipping.

Marielijah Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 10:16pm
post #8 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by shanter 

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0688044026/?tag=cakecentral-20+Cake+Bible+Rose+Levy+Beranbaum

Looks like the best price is used, $6.58 plus shipping.

Thank you so much... I just purchased it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%