Baking With A 12" Pan

Decorating By arabesquechica Updated 12 Sep 2013 , 10:16pm by Marielijah

arabesquechica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arabesquechica Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 5:35pm
post #1 of 8

AHello,

I will be making my first 12" cake in a few weeks. I have read in a few recipes (the cake bible) that with larger pans you decrease the levening agents but I wasn't sure why. I will be baking the King Arthur tender white cake recipe with a few slight modifications; does anyone know if I will need to decrease the baking powder for this recipe? I am of course going to do a dry run but I didn't want to waste cake if anyone already knew the answer.

7 replies
NJsugarmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NJsugarmama Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 6:02pm
post #2 of 8

AThe cake bible formula for the white, yellow, and chocolate is what I use. I love it. Rose explains in that the BP needs to be decreased because the surface area is larger in a 12" than say a 6". Larger amounts of BP will weaken the structure since the inside takes much longer to bake.

As far as dryness, get yourself a spray bottle and add simple syrup. Spray it on each layer after it has been torted, right as you are assembling with your filling. It doesn't really need it, but I add it for piece of mind:). I do this with all the layers.

Let me know if you have any questions about the formula and the Rose factors.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 6:04pm
post #3 of 8

I've baked many wedding cakes of all diameters using recipes I scaled up from small home-sized quantities. I have never made any adjustments for leaveners.

arabesquechica Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 6:07pm
post #4 of 8

AThanks so much!!! That makes total sense!! I am going to try the cake bible recipes and see if I like them better!!

arabesquechica Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 6:10pm
post #5 of 8

AThanks!

Marielijah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marielijah Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 10:08pm
post #6 of 8

I read about the Cake Bible... where can I purchase one of those and is that the actual name of the book?  Who is the author?

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 10:10pm
post #7 of 8

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0688044026/?tag=cakecentral-20+Cake+Bible+Rose+Levy+Beranbaum

Looks like the best price is used, $6.58 plus shipping.

Marielijah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marielijah Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 10:16pm
post #8 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by shanter 

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0688044026/?tag=cakecentral-20+Cake+Bible+Rose+Levy+Beranbaum

Looks like the best price is used, $6.58 plus shipping.

Thank you so much... I just purchased it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%