Cupcakes Not Rising Correctly And Are Wrinkling And Shrinking After 1 Min Of Cooling!!

Baking By Anna1211 Updated 12 Sep 2013 , 8:55pm by NJsugarmama

Anna1211 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anna1211 Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 6:55am
post #1 of 9

Hi guys

I'm a beginner at baking and have been baking at home the past 6 months. I notice some cupcake recipe require baking soda and some only require baking powder and some require both. Can you guys give me a break down on how to be familiar with how much to use for each ingredient for a cupcake recipe and when do i expect to use either ingredient? Also, i been baking some chocolate cupcakes that only require baking soda. They tend to rise very high when it first comes out of the oven, then completely shrinks and turn wrinkle after cooling for 1 min. How can i make a perfect chocolate cupcake like the ones at the baker. Please advise, and if you have a good chocolate cupcake recipe, please send it my way!!

8 replies
NJsugarmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NJsugarmama Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 7:54am
post #2 of 9

AIf you want to get into the nitty-gritty of baking, I suggest reading more about the science and understanding that goes on when you use either of those. For me, if you can get past the snobbish personality, the Cake Bible is a great place to start. She goes into detail about every ingredient and gives some troubleshooting advice.

As for your recipe, I'm not sure what your problem is since I don't know your actual recipe. If you have a chance, post it.

I'm sure you can find a chocolate cupcake that people rave about using the search feature.

I know this wasn't direct help, but I hope I was able to point you in the right direction.

Best wishes.

Anna1211 Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 7:57am
post #3 of 9

Thank you so much! i will start with that booK! Will order it now! Appreciate your time!

NJsugarmama Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 8:06am
post #4 of 9

AMaybe even see if you can get it from the library. Her chocolate cake in the back of the book gives a base formula to fit a single 6" layer. I've used that recipe and converted to cupcakes(base formula makes 10), same with her yellow butter cake. I just multiply it to get the quality needed. Those are my go- tos for choc and vanilla.

If you don't already, consider using weight instead of volume with your recipes...this can help fine-tune your baking.

Anna1211 Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 8:10am
post #5 of 9

Do you bake for a living? i been having trouble with my frosting too =( Frosting taste great! But when i deliver it, it starts to melt. i typically use butter, creme cheese and sugar in my frosting ingredient. I know some people use shortening! But i dont like the taste at all! Any recommendations?

NJsugarmama Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 11:20am
post #6 of 9

ANo, I dont bake for a living. Just a stay at home mom with a hobby. I use Swiss meringue buttercream. Type it in the search. There is a lot of info about it.

Is that your go-to buttercream? Sounds like you need to do some research. There are a lot of options. If you are running a business, these are things that you should have figured out already...it's important to deliver consistent product. Be sure that you are running your business within whatever guidelines your state/country has set.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 12:09pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJsugarmama 

Is that your go-to buttercream? Sounds like you need to do some research. There are a lot of options. If you are running a business, these are things that you should have figured out already...it's important to deliver consistent product. Be sure that you are running your business within whatever guidelines your state/country has set.

;-D

Anna1211 Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 7:03pm
post #8 of 9

Nysugarmama!

Thanks for your heads up! Im not starting my business yet but i am considering it. I just been practicing at home! =) Are you a baker? Do you have any tips for me?

NJsugarmama Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 8:55pm
post #9 of 9

AMy big thing is making sure my cake tastes as good or even better than it looks. Find your recipe, test it out, be open to criticism...even though it may hurt...and practice, of course.

Craftsy offers some good classes if you are looking to learn how to do a certain technique. I may not comment often on cake central... But this site has helped me troubleshoot plenty of times. People on here are generally nice people, if you have a question you can't find an answer to by searching... Definitely ask! Don't be shy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%