Wow! That's A Lot Of Cupcakes!

Business By foodyfoo Updated 14 Sep 2013 , 4:43am by sarahgale314

foodyfoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foodyfoo Posted 11 Sep 2013 , 11:27pm
post #1 of 7

AI'm about to hit panic mode, so any advice is welcome. I am with a small chapter of a non-profit organization. We have been given an opportunity to sell cupcakes at a local festival as a fundraiser. The problem is when we decided to do this we had no idea how large a crowd this event would have. This is the first time they have held this event. Well, we just found out they have sold 6000 presale tickets, and there will be gate admission too! The event is just less than a month away. Also, the baking will be done in my home and those of a few other volunteers.

So, here are my questions: 1) how many cupcakes would be advisable to have for sale? 2) can anyone tell me how long cupcakes can be held NOT under refrigeration? 3) did I mention this is an outdoor event. In Orlando, FL. Where the average temp on this particular date is 89 degrees (and humid)? So I would appreciate any recipe advice, tips, or tricks

Thank you for at least reading

6 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Sep 2013 , 11:45pm
post #2 of 7

From my experience with Festivals, 10% of the attendees will buy dessert.

IndyDebi's bc will hold up in the heat.  I assume you will package these individually?

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 1:59am
post #3 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by leah_s 

From my experience with Festivals, 10% of the attendees will buy dessert.

IndyDebi's bc will hold up in the heat.  I assume you will package these individually?

I think that's a good number, 10%. Your sales will be tied to your presentation and personalities, it you don't look great people won't be buying!! Make sure you have VERY out going and friendly people to sell your cupcakes. People who aren't afraid to engage the crowd for sales. Make sure your signage is really good so people know the money is going to charity. Keep things super clean, wear disposable gloves. Consider giving out free mini cupcakes as tastings. You could do like 25 free tasting cupcakes per hour.

kaylawaylalayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylawaylalayla Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 4:42am
post #4 of 7

AWow, good luck! I live in orlando too, and it has just been unpleasant outside! This may be silly advice, but I would skip any fillings and just keep it simple. If I see any charity cupcakes out and about ill buy one.

foodyfoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foodyfoo Posted 13 Sep 2013 , 9:14pm
post #5 of 7

AThank you for your input. I am definitely more comfortable with the 10% idea. Now I just have to settle on the flavors. I have a great team with me, all if whom are very outgoing and excited to get our name out to a new audience.

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 14 Sep 2013 , 2:49am
post #6 of 7

I hope you'll post some photos and your thoughts after your event, I'd love to know how it went for you.

sarahgale314 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahgale314 Posted 14 Sep 2013 , 4:43am
post #7 of 7

AI sell cupcakes at outdoor fairs and farmer's markets all summer, in the 90-100 degree heat! Here's what I do: bake the cupcakes in batches, wrap tightly, bag, and freeze. Pull them all out the night before th event to thaw. Pack them in boxes. Make the buttercreams and put them all into disposible bags with piping tips. Any toppings you want for the varieties, put them in sandwich baggies. Put the bagged frostings and corresponding toppigns together in gallon ziplock bags. Put all the frostings together in a cooler with just a small amount of ice. At the event, keep 2 of each flavor frosted and on display for sale. As they sell, frost more and put them out. The frosting will stay cool and not melty this way. Here are the cupcakes I did for my last fair. I made and sold 500!

[IMG ALT="Pink vanilla, dukce de leche, red velvet, black forest cherry, chocolate peanut butter, oreo, lime in the coconut, and triple chocolate."]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3088281/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%