Working With Fondant And Tylose..

Decorating By cakelove2105 Updated 11 Sep 2013 , 6:20pm by howsweet

cakelove2105 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelove2105 Posted 11 Sep 2013 , 12:18am
post #1 of 4

Hello everyone,

This will be my first time using fondant for decoration and therefore using tylose to make figures. Basically all my knowledge regarding fondant is visual not practical, thus I need to know what amount of tylose is recommended to add to make stable figures but not exaggerate. 

I also would like to know how much time I have to work with the fondant once I've added the tylose so it doesn't get hard in my hands.

Another question I have is whether the fondant to cover the cake needs something to make it as soft as possible, I mean, by logic in other to cut the cake easier.

thanks for your help :")

3 replies
heartsnsync Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsnsync Posted 11 Sep 2013 , 1:14am
post #2 of 4

In adding tylose to fondant for figure modeling, I usually begin by kneading in about a tablespoon's worth to a ball about the size of a baseball. Add more shortening to your hands and your kneading surface as you knead the tylose in so that it will not get too dry and will remain pliable. This is just a starting point as each type of fondant and your humidity and room temperature can also play roles in how much tylose it will take. What you are looking for is a stiffening of the fondant where you can tell as you are kneading it that it has gained more structure. I hope this helps. 

cakelove2105 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelove2105 Posted 11 Sep 2013 , 1:22am
post #3 of 4

Thanks heartsnsync ;)

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 11 Sep 2013 , 6:20pm
post #4 of 4

Like heartsync said, it varies. General rule of thumb - 2t to one pound fondant. Much easier to work with than real gumpaste. Stays where you want it, but doesn't dry out as fast.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%