5 lb Tubs of Satin Ice now at Hobby Lobby

Decorating By ShaunaNicole Updated 7 Oct 2013 , 6:44pm by morganchampagne

ShaunaNicole Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 4:55pm
post #1 of 19

Hi Everyone,

Just thought I'd let you know (if you don't already) that Hobby Lobby now carries 5# tubs of satin Ice for around $23.  I used a 40% coupon the other day and was thrilled that I paid only $15 for 5 lbs.  $3/lb is less than I have even found online for bulk rates.  Hope this helps some of you!

18 replies
Shalan Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 5:13pm
post #2 of 19

I will have to check my local Hobby Lobby. That is great news!  Thanks!

vicki515 Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 6:14pm
post #3 of 19

AWill check mine too. Thanks for the tip. I've never used Satin Ice. Do you like it?

vicki515 Posted 11 Sep 2013 , 2:36am
post #5 of 19

AThanks. I'll check it out.

Annabakescakes Posted 11 Sep 2013 , 3:39am
post #6 of 19

AI accidentally ordered satin ice instead of the decopac brand and was so upset, I almost cried. Lol satin ice tastes like Wilton fondant mixed with playdough and vanilla.

Godot Posted 11 Sep 2013 , 3:52am
post #7 of 19

AGleggh. Just the stink alone is enough to put me off Satin Ice.

morganchampagne Posted 11 Sep 2013 , 4:18am
post #8 of 19

AI bought some satin ice too...and was surprised that I actually liked the taste. I am new to using fondant so I'm really not that particular yet. It did kind of smell like play dough though

SweetCarolines Posted 11 Sep 2013 , 4:33am
post #9 of 19

Satin Ice issue aside, I'm so jealous of all of you people living in the mainland. No Hobby Lobby in Puerto Rico. Not even a Michaels. A couple of Walmarts, but apparently they didn't think people baked in this island, because their baking section is, like, "hey, we'll put this spatula here right next to a lonely bundt cake pan. Wait, you blinked! Now your in the bikes section."

It's okay, because it means I get to support our local mom and pop baking supply stores, but man. Every once in a while I'd love to hit a big sale. Or just find cute things for a dollar. I really miss Michaels. I even miss Jo-Ann, and that's saying something.

DeniseNH Posted 11 Sep 2013 , 10:32am
post #10 of 19

I'm sticking with homemade marshmallow fondant mixed with one cup of melted Merkins chocolate and accented with LorAn Cotton Candy flavoring.  :-)  Smoother than a baby's behind, luscious taste - no cracking or dryness and just the right amount of "stretch" to roll it thinner than most.  Oh and five pounds of MMF costs around $7.00.  Can't beat that.

MsInes Posted 11 Sep 2013 , 11:16am
post #12 of 19

AYes, I've heard, and from I can seen on the newspapers, things in PR are getting rough. But I know that cake decorating is huge over there,. Right?! I am from PR.

melodym38 Posted 5 Oct 2013 , 10:25pm
post #13 of 19

AFound it at my Hobby lobby.. Was 22.99 with 40% off was 13.79... Thanks!!!!

soldiernurse Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 12:30am
post #15 of 19

A

Original message sent by DeniseNH

I'm sticking with homemade marshmallow fondant mixed with one cup of melted Merkins chocolate and accented with LorAn Cotton Candy flavoring.  :-)  Smoother than a baby's behind, luscious taste - no cracking or dryness and just the right amount of "stretch" to roll it thinner than most.  Oh and five pounds of MMF costs around $7.00.  Can't beat that.

Can you tell me how do you mix the melted chocolate into the mmf...do you mix the melted chocolate in the melted marshmallows or ??

morganchampagne Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 3:20pm
post #16 of 19

AYou add melted chocolate to the melted marshmallows

Charmed Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 4:07pm
post #17 of 19

what is the ratio of chocolate to marshmallow?

Carrie789 Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 4:45pm
post #18 of 19

Morgan, would you mind sharing the recipe you use? I have tried several recipes with added chocolate and the texture has not been good. Thank you.

morganchampagne Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 6:44pm
post #19 of 19

ASure! I use Rhonda's Ultimate MMF. I add maybe about 6/7 ounces of chocolate. If you are trying to get it super dark add cocoa powder instead.

There's really no "right" amount. That's just what I use.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%