How Do I Achieve Red Dripping Effect On A Chocolate Buttercream Covered Cake?

Decorating By Marishka1 Updated 11 Sep 2013 , 10:23am by BatterUpCake

Marishka1 Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 4:05pm
post #1 of 6

My friend asked me to make her a Maker's Mark wedding cake, like this one:


What can I use for the red drizzle? Can I use the Willton Red Candy Melts? Will it "drizzle" nicely? Should I freeze the cake first?

5 replies
BatterUpCake Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 4:15pm
post #2 of 6

I would use the candy melts if you are referring to the wax seal on the whiskey bottle. It is thicker and will look more real.. You could look into poured fondant (would be hard to get that red though)or you could make a "ganache" out of the red candy melts


You would still have to add red candy coloring because the cream would turn it pinkish

Marishka1 Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 4:23pm
post #3 of 6

thank you!!!

To achieve the more "running" consistency, should I look into making a ganache with the red candy melts? Will I need 2 parts of melts to 1 part of cream?

I have never worked with candy melts before, but i've seen posts that it is not "runny" enough and people add "oil" to make it thinner.

BatterUpCake Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 5:46pm
post #4 of 6

You can also add paramount crystals to thin it.


I was just pondering the possibility of making "ganache" with it. I have heard others doing it but I personally cannot attest to it. Here is Wilton's recipe although it is not truly ganache, that is what they call it. Personally I like Merken's candies better....

Marishka1 Posted 11 Sep 2013 , 4:29am
post #5 of 6

Thank you. I will try making it with just a few spoons of cream to see what I get :)

BatterUpCake Posted 11 Sep 2013 , 10:23am
post #6 of 6

or paramount crystals. I don't think a few spoonfuls will do much good

Quote by @%username% on %date%