Ribbon Cake

Decorating By nickiwoo Updated 10 Sep 2013 , 7:32pm by CakeGeekUk

nickiwoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickiwoo Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 6:46pm
post #1 of 8

AHi everyone!

This is my first post on here :-)

I was just wondering how everyone attaches fabric ribbon to the sides of fondant cake in a pattern? I was thinking to just attach with a dot of royal icing, wrap around 2 or 3 times in a pattern then secure with a dot of royal icing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :-)

7 replies
Lizzays Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizzays Cakes Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 8:58pm
post #2 of 8

Depends on your design. I wish there was a photo so I could let you know.

I have seen people dip the ribbon on water. There are tutorials on youtube.

I personally place my ribbon as a want tightly on the cake and use sticky dot lines (on the ribbon) one end touching another. The sticky line/dots never touch the fondant. There are rolls you can buy at Joanns or Michaels that are rolls of single lined, so it is perfect for sticking diamonds on ribbon or ribbon on cakes with no one knowing how it is you attached those ribbons or diamonds.

Here is one of my cakes using my technique!!

With glue I have seen it leak through the ribbon and look tacky. 

Good luck =)

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 12:02am
post #3 of 8

Thanks for that tip Lizzays Cakes! That never occurred to me, I've been worrying over using pins. Yeah, I love great tips!!

Lizzays Cakes Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 12:06am
post #4 of 8

No problem.

I never recommend pins because if someone has one in their food (like a child).

I've heard horror stories.

Liz

nickiwoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickiwoo Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 7:23am
post #5 of 8

AThat looks lovely!! Here is a photo of what I mean from google :-) [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3097423/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 1:56pm
post #6 of 8

I wanted to show you what happened to me when I tried to do that look. Mine was a failure and all I could do was roll with the punches and make the best out of it. I wanted to wrap my ribbons tightly around my cake as your photo shows, BUT when I began placing them on my cake I ran into problems. So learn from me and don't do as I did. ;)

1. I really needed a second pair of hands to help me hold the ribbon steady as I wrapped it around. Because every time it fell or moved of course it left a mark on my frosting. Next time I'll definitely wait until I have some help.

2. I really should have tested my ribbon before applying to the cake. My ribbon had no flexibility. When I tried to take it out of perfect alignment it wouldn't lay flat against the cake and that made the ribbon look wrong. I think you need to find a ribbon that has some stretch to it for the wrapping to lay flat. Definitely play with your ribbon on a dummy before applying to a real cake!!

3. This look is a lot easier to pull off if your wrapping a fondant cake. The ribbons edges cut butter cream every time you touch it.

Lizzays Cakes Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 7:25pm
post #7 of 8

Oh man what I nightmare. Wow that is very informational

Here is one I did with buttercream. I didnt have much problem It seemed easier with buttercream because it stuck to the buttercream where with fondant I could see it being a bit more work!

CakeGeekUk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeGeekUk Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 7:32pm
post #8 of 8

Hi Niki, that's for the feedback and tips for the rest of us. I did this before but the ribbon was much thinner (5mm soft satin) so I think this may have made it easier. I used a pin initially to hold the ribbon in place and then had an assistant taking the ribbon from me at the front of the cake and passing it back to me again.  I replaced the pin with a dab of dry-ish royal icing at the back. It's definitely something that looks a lot easier than it actullay it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%