Help With Wedding Cake Techniques!

Decorating By msg1474 Updated 11 Sep 2013 , 9:41pm by msg1474

msg1474 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msg1474 Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 6:40pm
post #1 of 6

A[ATTACHMENT=1270]image.jpg (47k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Does any one know how the lace work on the first two tiers was done? What technique or tip was used on the last bottom tiers? Any info would be great.

5 replies
cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 6:50pm
post #2 of 6

Well it's hard to tell from the quality of the picture but IMO it looks like it's done with maybe a rose tip 104 or larger.  It definitely looks tedious but a nice effect.  

Forgot to add, the top tier looks like it's just freehand tip 2 and/or 3.  I can't tell if there is brush embroidery in the flowers or not.

Amy

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 8:31pm
post #3 of 6

I frequently pipe the bottom two cakes look and it's super easy. You can see it on the cake on the front page of my website. I'm not near my tips right now so I can't tell you the specific tip # but it's a huge rose petal type tip about 1" tall.

I enlarged the photo you posted and you can't really see the detail well on the top two tiers. It's not a clean brush embroidery, it's very heavy. It's either got piping over piping or piping over some thin fondant lace.

Neither piping detail is hard to do. The bottom tiers are just piping around the cake in layers with the thick part of the tip pressing into the cake and the thinner part of the tip angled outward. I hold my tip upside down from what that decorator is doing.

shake n cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shake n cake Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 8:38pm
post #4 of 6

I use Wilton's tip #68 to get that effect. It is a leaf tip, but it comes out looking ruffled, much easier than rose tips!

Marissa

msg1474 Posted 11 Sep 2013 , 9:40pm
post #5 of 6

AThanks for all the info.

msg1474 Posted 11 Sep 2013 , 9:41pm
post #6 of 6

AThank you for the info.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%