How Early Is Too Early To Make A Cake

Decorating By Charlie86 Updated 9 Sep 2013 , 11:36pm by Charlie86

Charlie86 Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 11:35am
post #1 of 4

AHi I'm just wondering how early I can start making the tiers of my mums birthday cake. I only have the week days and during the day to make the cake as its a surprise and she lives next door so I need to hide it. I'm just wondering how early I can start? This is my first cake and I'm worried about doing it wrong and not having enough time to fix it...

3 replies
Norasmom Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 12:17pm
post #2 of 4

If you have a freezer, you can start anytime. Wrap the tiers in plastic wrap and defrost them when you're ready to decorate.

Otherwise, for the freshest cake, only 2 days in advance.  I bake on Thursday, decorate on Friday and deliver on Saturday.

mc53 Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 12:18pm
post #3 of 4

I have made mud cakes in advance and froze them

. Make sure you wrap it well.

I usually wrap them in greaseproof then a layer of foil then I wrap it up in a towel.

I have done mud cakes 2 to 3 week in advance and I defrost them the night before I want to cover them

Charlie86 Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 11:36pm
post #4 of 4

Awesome

That helps heaps....

So my cake is all Mud cake and that's part I was really concerned about. I am not so worried about the fondant part or the decorating.

If I make my tiers and crumb coat them and freeze them they will be ok?

I wanted to put a sugar syrup in between the cakes as well to try and keep them moist. Should I do this to help or not?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%