Client Wants To Bake His Wifes Cake Himself And Buy A Topper – What Would You Recommend?

Business By Crazy-Gray Updated 10 Sep 2013 , 8:38pm by MBalaska

Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 10:00am
post #1 of 9

AI love that this guy really wants to bake the cake himself, he wants me to make the topper and has asked for some advice on what cake to bake… it’s a nurse theme so to suit the topper it really needs to be white (or am I being a control freak and expecting too much?!); do you think suggesting he go for supermarket fondant is a good idea or is that too much for literally his first ever bake??

I was going to go with a simple pound cake- maybe Madeira so there’s less chance of middle sinkage and a basic BC for the filling, maybe suggest he add a little melted white chocolate for something different….

He seems to have his heart set on a tall 3d standing topper so I’ll have to make it on a board and supply some straws for internal support… I might try to push a 2D cartoony one instead though just made on a single thick round…

...Urgh- This is far more stressful than just making the whole thing! lol

8 replies
georgia zanin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
georgia zanin Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 10:05am
post #2 of 9

ASounds fun maybe like one of those teddy bear nurses you know if you google image it. Search heart foundation teddy nurse. I have one. BTW.

Good luck hope this gave you some inspiration.

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 10:23am
post #3 of 9

If he has never even baked a cake before then I would be steering him away from fondant and into buttercream.  It doesn't have to be smooth, it can be rough iced.

Crazy-Gray Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 12:21pm
post #4 of 9

A

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia zanin 

Sounds fun maybe like one of those teddy bear nurses you know if you google image it. Search heart foundation teddy nurse. I have one. BTW.

Aw that's so cute :-) People are so hard to make that might work out great! thank you :-)

I think ur right Cazza, BC will be best- it just frustrates me that it'll not look as neat at I want it to look! ....I never realised I was such a control freak.......

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 12:33pm
post #5 of 9

AI agree, have him do buttercream, it will be much easier for someone to help him fix that in a hurry than trying do fix fondant.

Crazy-Gray Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 12:52pm
post #6 of 9

A

Original message sent by kikiandkyle

I agree, have him do buttercream, it will be much easier for someone to help him fix that in a hurry than trying do fix fondant.

Ha ha I love it!... I wonder who that 'someone' might be! Lol

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 4:33pm
post #7 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy-Gray 

Ha ha I love it!... I wonder who that 'someone' might be! Lol

Well I didn't want to just assume you'd get roped in to it but most of us are softies at heart!

georgia zanin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
georgia zanin Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 9:44am
post #8 of 9

A

Original message sent by Crazy-Gray

Quote:

Sounds fun maybe like one of those teddy bear nurses you know if you google image it. Search heart foundation teddy nurse. I have one. BTW.

[quote name="Crazy-Gray" url="/t/763426/client-wants-to-bake-his-wifes-cake-himself-and-buy-a-topper-what-would-you-recommend#post_7441734"]

Quote:

Aw that's so cute :-) People are so hard to make that might work out great! thank you :-)

I think ur right Cazza, BC will be best- it just frustrates me that it'll not look as neat at I want it to look! ....I never realised I was such a control freak.......

I think ur right Cazza, BC will be best- it just frustrates me that it'll not look as neat at I want it to look! ....I never realised I was such a control freak.......[/quote]

If you do this can you let me know how it went as I'm interesting in make one my self. Please Private Message me. Thanks good luck again.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 8:38pm
post #9 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy-Gray 
...Urgh- This is far more stressful than just making the whole thing! lol

yes. It would be.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%