Client wants to bake his wifes cake himself and buy a topper – what would you recommend?

Business By Crazy-Gray Updated 10 Sep 2013 , 8:38pm by MBalaska

Crazy-Gray Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 10:00am
post #1 of 9

AI love that this guy really wants to bake the cake himself, he wants me to make the topper and has asked for some advice on what cake to bake… it’s a nurse theme so to suit the topper it really needs to be white (or am I being a control freak and expecting too much?!); do you think suggesting he go for supermarket fondant is a good idea or is that too much for literally his first ever bake??

I was going to go with a simple pound cake- maybe Madeira so there’s less chance of middle sinkage and a basic BC for the filling, maybe suggest he add a little melted white chocolate for something different….

He seems to have his heart set on a tall 3d standing topper so I’ll have to make it on a board and supply some straws for internal support… I might try to push a 2D cartoony one instead though just made on a single thick round…

...Urgh- This is far more stressful than just making the whole thing! lol

8 replies
georgia zanin Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 10:05am
post #2 of 9

ASounds fun maybe like one of those teddy bear nurses you know if you google image it. Search heart foundation teddy nurse. I have one. BTW.

Good luck hope this gave you some inspiration.

cazza1 Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 10:23am
post #3 of 9

If he has never even baked a cake before then I would be steering him away from fondant and into buttercream.  It doesn't have to be smooth, it can be rough iced.

Crazy-Gray Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 12:21pm
post #4 of 9

A

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia zanin 

Sounds fun maybe like one of those teddy bear nurses you know if you google image it. Search heart foundation teddy nurse. I have one. BTW.

Aw that's so cute :-) People are so hard to make that might work out great! thank you :-)

I think ur right Cazza, BC will be best- it just frustrates me that it'll not look as neat at I want it to look! ....I never realised I was such a control freak.......

kikiandkyle Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 12:33pm
post #5 of 9

AI agree, have him do buttercream, it will be much easier for someone to help him fix that in a hurry than trying do fix fondant.

Crazy-Gray Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 12:52pm
post #6 of 9

A

Original message sent by kikiandkyle

I agree, have him do buttercream, it will be much easier for someone to help him fix that in a hurry than trying do fix fondant.

Ha ha I love it!... I wonder who that 'someone' might be! Lol

georgia zanin Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 9:44am
post #8 of 9

A

Original message sent by Crazy-Gray

Quote:

Sounds fun maybe like one of those teddy bear nurses you know if you google image it. Search heart foundation teddy nurse. I have one. BTW.

[quote name="Crazy-Gray" url="/t/763426/client-wants-to-bake-his-wifes-cake-himself-and-buy-a-topper-what-would-you-recommend#post_7441734"]

Quote:

Aw that's so cute :-) People are so hard to make that might work out great! thank you :-)

I think ur right Cazza, BC will be best- it just frustrates me that it'll not look as neat at I want it to look! ....I never realised I was such a control freak.......

I think ur right Cazza, BC will be best- it just frustrates me that it'll not look as neat at I want it to look! ....I never realised I was such a control freak.......[/quote]

If you do this can you let me know how it went as I'm interesting in make one my self. Please Private Message me. Thanks good luck again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%