What Should I Dam This Cake With?

Decorating By Nadiaa Updated 12 Sep 2013 , 4:29am by Nadiaa

Nadiaa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nadiaa Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 3:13am
post #1 of 6

Hi :) I'm making dessert for tonight, and am baking a chocolate mudcake. I've made some chocolate ganache to cover it with, but I want to tort it and fill it with something, maybe some chantilly cream. I know I'm going to curse the cream when I go to ganache the cake, so was wondering what you would dam the layer with. Ganache? I figure this is a good thing for me to get sorted out so I can cross it off my list of 'cakey things I've learned'.

Thankyou!! 

5 replies
Nadiaa Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 5:16am
post #2 of 6

Okay, I've decided at this point to dam it with a little ganache then fill it with chantilly cream. I just need to stop eating the ganache or I won't have enough! Lol! 

On a side note, I've made ganache successfully for the first time today. I learned the hard way and now weigh my  chocolate and cream. I have a beautiful ganache in the fridge now that is just perfect for scooping out spoonfuls :oops:

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 10:40am
post #3 of 6

Nadiaa, if you cool your ganache in the fridge it will get cold unevenly and some bits will set hard, making it extremely difficult to smoothly ganache the outside of your cake.  You should try making it the day before and leaving it covered on the bench overnight to set.

Nadiaa Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 5:38am
post #4 of 6

Hi cazza1 :) I made my ganache early in the morning and sat it on the bench all day but it didn't set past a kind of gooey consistency. It's really hot up here (Darwin) and very humid so I think it needed to go in the fridge. It didn't seem to affect it, there were no lumps, I just microwaved it for 10 seconds once I took it out of the fridge then gave it a quick stir. It's frustrating learning to decorate in this climate. A lot of the great advice I get on here I can't always use because I just can't sit cakes/fillings/icings etc at room temp. 

Hrudhi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hrudhi Posted 11 Sep 2013 , 1:14pm
post #5 of 6

Hi Nadiaa, I generally increase the amount of chocolate when it is summer in Brisbane and that helps set the ganache to the right consistency. I am not sure, but it might work for Darwin.

Nadiaa Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 4:29am
post #6 of 6

That's a great idea. Thanks so much Hrudhi! I will give it a go. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%