Cake Plateau Sizing And Quality

Decorating By george101 Updated 10 Sep 2013 , 3:35am by BatterUpCake

george101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
george101 Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 2:48am
post #1 of 22

Hi

I am looking for cake plateaus in silver. Thanks for telling me where to look, I am wondering do they come in different weights re quality or are they all much of a muchness?

I am wondering as my largest base cake will be 12' square or round, would you buy 14' plateaus or 16" plateaus. I have never owned or used things like this before so have no idea!

I was looking @ 14' but am wondering if they will look odd on my cakes which are normally 3 tiers with a depth of 6" each layer.

Thanks

21 replies
kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 4:31am
post #2 of 22

AI googled 14 and 16 inch cake plateaus than just started looking thru the websites to see what I like. I think if you have a 12 inch round you might need a 16 inch round stand. I personally would go for a square stand just because I don't think a round cake looks bad on a square stand to where I think a square cake would probably look kinda odd on a round one. .but that's just my opinion. I would say be prepared to spend a good $100 to $150 for a nice stand. Im not sure what size to tell you to buy but if it were me buying I would probably but a 16 inch square just because it should look fine I think and than if you go with a bigger cake than your stand will fit it . Hope this helps

kazita Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 4:38am
post #3 of 22

Ahttp://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007C67GPC/ref=redir_mdp_mobile This is one I was trying to post but for some reason my phone wouldnt cut and paste it but now it did....I just think this one is pretty and not to badly priced but again I would Google and look thru all the sites to find one you really like. HAPPY BAKING :grin:

george101 Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 4:45am
post #4 of 22

I was planning on buying a plain round and an embossed square, it appears there is a vast difference in price for what looks like the same items, or is this just copies and the more expensive the better the quality.

thanks

kazita Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 5:16am
post #5 of 22

Ahttp://www.save-on-crafts.com/castroraweca.html

I'm thinking the more intercate sp? They are the more expensive they are...but that's just my opinion.

george101 Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 5:43am
post #6 of 22

Thank you they are beautiful , do they hold a good weight? and would you get a 14' or a 16' for a 12' bottom tier thanks.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 11:42am
post #7 of 22

AFor 12" base I'd get 14" stand especially if they are usually 3 tiers.

kazita Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 2:25pm
post #8 of 22

AI agree I would get s 14 inch for a 12 inch cake but the last one I gave you a link to says its 14 and 3/4 inch big but I personally think its beautiful. I think it should hold a 3 tier cake just fine.

kazita Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 2:33pm
post #9 of 22

Ahttp://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006KU1VF2 This is a link to a 14 inch square plateau but if you Google cake plateaus you get tons on websites with choices. I personally like Amazon just because there a well know site.

kazita Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 2:59pm
post #10 of 22

Ahttp://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00CDYDYKY/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?SubscriptionId=AKIAIXHJPOJ5CSRGZH2A&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00CDYDYKY&linkCode=xm2&tag=buychecom01-20 I know you said you want s plain round one but here's a beautiful round one. One thing to stay away is the cheap Styrofoam ones.

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 4:19pm
post #11 of 22

Definitely there is a difference in quality. I was speaking with another member the other day and she said her glass stand shattered under the weight of the cake. And a couple of weeks ago on TLC the leg collapsed under the weight of a pillow cake. I have the clip. And I too would go with a 14" for a 12" cake.

george101 Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 9:00pm
post #12 of 22

How do I go about ensuring I get a good quality item? What do i look for ? I have never brought anything of amazon, but if they are good quality I wouldn't hesitate, 

It seems i can only find a few stores that sell them,  most seem to rent them out. 

I am wanting a 14' square and 14' round. Thanks

BatterUpCake Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 9:22pm
post #13 of 22

Amazon has feedback. Look for the star rating. You want metal ones?

george101 Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 9:50pm
post #14 of 22

I really want metal, had my eye on the plain with beading, but I see some of the feed back isn't so great on these.

Then I thought the heavier embossed the less chance of flaws being noticed, I like the allure look , but the quality is more important to me.

The rose one is just gorgeous, but if I get one with flaws there is no way to hide them.What are you guys using?

BatterUpCake Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 9:55pm
post #15 of 22

I make my own, but they are wood. Delicious Dessterts was shopping around the other day for a metal one by the manufacturer Tabletop. Check Etsy too. They have lots of metal stands for sale.

BatterUpCake Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 9:57pm
post #16 of 22

Also stores will not rent them but if you check with places that rent wedding arches and catering supplies you might find one. But then you only get to use it once. Just google wedding rentals with your city

quietude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quietude Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 11:05pm
post #17 of 22

I have found some reasonable stands on Amazon. I would purchase a 16" stand since the cake board for a 12" cake is typically going to be a 14" in size. HTH!

george101 Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 1:52am
post #18 of 22

I don't want to rent them, I want to buy them, The ones I like all seem to be rental when I go into the sites.

I was hoping on the off chance someone may have known of a store that retails good quality cake plateaus .

I guess amazon is it as the couple of others mentioned do not have both items I am wanting in stock and I was hoping to get them from the same store.

BatterUpCake Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 1:59am
post #19 of 22

You will do better price wise with Amazon. I really do not know of any store that does. My local cake store carries 1 and you can get it at 1/2 the price on Amazon

kazita Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 3:21am
post #20 of 22

A2 of the stands I showed you from Amazon.. I think there really pretty but obviously it's up to you would buy.I hope you're for.

george101 Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 3:31am
post #21 of 22

Have you got those ones?

I think they are pretty too and am guessing that may well be them, now I just need to work out size I was convinced the 14" would be the way to go, but now Im not sure.

I have tins from 5" to 12 " in both round and square and may well make 5 tier cakes,  at this stage I do  3 x 6" tiers, stacked. 

BatterUpCake Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 3:35am
post #22 of 22

most 12" cakes you see wil be on a 14" base

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%