Anyone Know Whose Cake This Is And The Source Of The Stencil They Used?

Decorating By Cakepro Updated 10 Sep 2013 , 2:47am by MBalaska

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 8 Sep 2013 , 6:48pm
post #1 of 15

A client has given me this picture and of course, Designer Stencils doesn't make this particular stencil.  The picture came from a website called "Cake Chooser" under the search term "Sweet 16 Masquerade Ball cake" but it seems to randomly appear and disappear from their site.  There is no watermark and I have searched Google images for another shot of this cake, but I only kept coming up with the Cake Chooser picture.

Also, what is the pattern in the stencil called?  I know it's crazy popular right now and I thought it was called "double ring" but my searches have not returned good results.

So, does anyone know who created this cake, the source of the stencil, or the name of the design in the stenciled areas?

Thanks so much!

14 replies
mbranko24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbranko24 Posted 8 Sep 2013 , 7:00pm
post #2 of 15

AI've seen something very similar on Etsy. They are not specifically made for cake though.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 8 Sep 2013 , 7:21pm
post #3 of 15

CakePro: this is a good thread for me to ask this question.....What makes a stencil 'Food Safe?'

I found a couple of 'stencil' websites that sell the plastic stencils that appear the same as Food Safe stencils. They had no reference to food use at all, so I hesitated to buy any. But if they are the right thickness, made out of the same material, why not use them for Cookies/Cakes. you could find tons of really interesting stencils, including your double ring style if not limited to 'food safe'.

Why not use paper stencils?  (I have to ask about stencils as I can't draw.)

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 8 Sep 2013 , 7:56pm
post #4 of 15

I do cakes and quilts and in the quilting world that stencil would be called "The Double Wedding Ring".  The design on the bottom could be replicated with two different sized leaf cutters.  Largest one first then the second to get just an outline.  But the top is definitely a stencil - but once again you could easily replicate it with two double pointed leaf cutters.

Carrie789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carrie789 Posted 8 Sep 2013 , 8:56pm
post #5 of 15

http://www dot craftsy dot com/project/view/masquerade-sweet-16/77878

jcakes21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jcakes21 Posted 8 Sep 2013 , 9:31pm
post #6 of 15

I don't know that they're food safe, but those stencil designs look a lot like Martha Stewart's Arabesque patterns:

http://www.plaidonline.com/martha-stewart-crafts-arabesque-laser-cut-stencils/149/32266/product.htm

Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 8 Sep 2013 , 10:01pm
post #7 of 15

I saw this on a facebook page for Marley's cakes.  https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=395272257213577&set=pb.169960879744717.-2207520000.1378677604.&type=3&theater

You may be able to contact them and see if they can tell you what they used.

Rosie93095 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie93095 Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 1:52am
post #8 of 15

If you don't want to use a stencil. Marvelous molds has an onlay mold for the double wedding ring pattern that works great.

Cakepro Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 12:53pm
post #9 of 15

Wow, thank you Carrie and Goreti!  Hopefully the creator of the cake will share the source of the stencil! :D  And thank you everyone else for the suggestions.  :)

MBalaska ~ the only thing I can guess is that the plastic used in culinary stencils is certified as food grade.  I wonder what the danger is in laying a regular ole' piece of clean stiff plastic up against a cake for about 30 seconds while you use it to stencil on a design.  For a cake that I was going to consume, I wouldn't have a problem with it because really, what exactly can be leaching out of plastic into the cake in those few seconds?  But as for using them on cakes to be served to others, better safe than sorry.

Do Cricuts cut plastic?  I don't think paper would work but maybe acetate would...if you had the patience to cut it by hand or if it were possible to cut it with a Cricut.  

MBalaska Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 7:45pm
post #10 of 15

Well.......tried cutting 'stencil' sheets by hand & with a heated stencil cutter.  disaster.:cry:

that's why I was looking for all of the options available.    I was wondering if the 'food grade' stencil was like a cake baller.  If you buy a stainless steel meat baller it costs $7, if you buy a stainless steel cake baller it's $22.  nonsense.

I'm beginning to think that the food grade stencil is a similar money making deal. A plastic stencil at the craft store is $2, a food stencil is $20. hmmmmmm

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 8:10pm
post #11 of 15

AI believe some people make stencils with acetate and an xacto knife. I think that's how JOshua John Russell does it in his craftsy class.

ttaunt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttaunt Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 9:22pm
post #12 of 15

It is definitely Martha Stewart, I saw it on her site.

Cakepro Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 9:40pm
post #13 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by ttaunt 

It is definitely Martha Stewart, I saw it on her site.

OH SNAP!!  

http://www.michaels.com/Arabesque-Laser-Cut-Stencils/cp0553,default,pd.html?cgid=products-craftpainting-stencilsandaccessories

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 12:09am
post #14 of 15

A

Original message sent by Cakepro

Do Cricuts cut plastic?  I don't think paper would work but maybe acetate would...if you had the patience to cut it by hand or if it were possible to cut it with a Cricut.  

The silhouette does

MBalaska Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 2:47am
post #15 of 15

That cake photo stencil is an exact copy of the Martha Stewart stencil. The webpage posted here says the stencil is for ""painted designs on fabric, wood, glass, and other surfaces.""

a cake is a surface, so I guess pretty much any type of stencil will work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%