Help!

Decorating By CassidysCakesAn Updated 7 Sep 2013 , 6:43pm by CassidysCakesAn

CassidysCakesAn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CassidysCakesAn Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 4:36pm
post #1 of 9

AI'm making a bowling ball cake using the sports ball pan. I usually bake from scratch but my strawberry cake is too crumbly and soft. I used the durable cake recipe from this site using dh strawberry supreme mix. It baked up fine but now it's deflating! How can I make it more round again? It's going to be covered in fondant.[IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3095619/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

8 replies
funtodecorate2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funtodecorate2 Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 4:48pm
post #2 of 9

The only thing I can think of is to cut down your sides alittle at a time and towards the bottom to give a more rounded ball if that's what your talking about and after .

cheeseball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheeseball Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 5:12pm
post #3 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by funtodecorate2 

The only thing I can think of is to cut down your sides alittle at a time and towards the bottom to give a more rounded ball if that's what your talking about and after .

Yup.  It'll be easier for you to do this if you chill the cake first - as previously stated, go slowly.  Easier to take off than to put back on:wink:

CassidysCakesAn Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 5:29pm
post #4 of 9

AThanks for the help. I decided to make it look like it was hitting the pins.[IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3095650/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

CassidysCakesAn Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 5:32pm
post #6 of 9

AIt's also for a friend and I'm only charging her 20.

cheeseball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheeseball Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 5:33pm
post #7 of 9

Dude...did you do all that in the 55 minutes since you first posted?!

CassidysCakesAn Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 5:40pm
post #8 of 9

AYes, I did. The fondant was already colored and marbled sobit didn't take that long. Thanks!

CassidysCakesAn Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 6:43pm
post #9 of 9

AWould freezing the cake or letting it sit longer before stacking help it not do that? I'm just wondering for future reference. Also, what kind of knife can I get for carving? The only cakes I've ever done are in my album so I'm not that experienced and the only cake I've 'carved' was the strawberry one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%