Help Asap For Today!

Decorating By Darthstefeny Updated 7 Sep 2013 , 7:10pm by cheeseball

Darthstefeny Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 12:01pm
post #1 of 20

I made some flowers for a wedding a while back. When it came to placing them on the cupcakes once i buttercreamed them. I checked later in the evening on them. ( I prepared the cupcakes with the flower the night before.) My flowers were all soggy and wilting. I remade them mixing fondant and tylose power and now the day of the wedding, today, I'm not putting the flowers on the cupcakes until i get to the reception. Am I going to have the same problem and should I race out and by already made gumpaste and do them again? Please I need you help ASAP! Thanks

19 replies
lolathreads Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 12:52pm
post #2 of 20

ADid the first flowers sit in the fridge? Sometimes I have had that happen when the fondant was refrigerated. Also, you may have a water content in your buttercream. do you use cream cheese in your buttercream? Also, next time try making your flowers out of gum paste and let them dry several days. If you only are putting flowers on at the reception they should be fine.

as you wish Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 1:19pm
post #3 of 20

ADon't bother remaking the flowers out of gumpaste; they won't have time to dry and you will have the same problem. Putting fondant decorations directly on buttercream, no matter how dry they are, will always result in softened decorations in my experience. You would have maybe half an hour at the most of the flowers looking good, then they will be a droopy mess. To pull off a last-minute fix for this you need to come up with some sort of barrier between the buttercream and the fondant flowers. If it were me, I would make some small, thin, round sugar cookies, flood them with royal icing and put the flowers on them. (I don't know what your flowers are like, but if you can make the cookies a bit smaller than the flowers so they don't show much that would probably be best.) then you can put the cookie with the flower onto of the buttercream without any problem. Good luck! :)

Darthstefeny Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 1:38pm
post #4 of 20

Thanks for your feedback. I had made the flowers a while back. I remember putting tylose in my first batch, then I forgot to put more in other batches when I was rolling the out to cut them. No I didn't put then in a fridge. I had them in a container for quite a few weeks. And I know the problem is, of course, that I forgot to add the tylose into the other batches before cutting them into shapes. The flowers are not fancy or anythings. Only a small 5 petal cuter with a few white sugar beads in the middle. And yesterday I had to frost the cupcakes with the buttercream as the wedding is today, Sept 7, and when I place the flowers on them I closed the lid on the cupcake container. And later went to check with a result of them sagging. So maybe heat created with the containers closed. I know it's not several days ahead, but I have the flowers on my table with a fan lightly blowing on them. And I don't plan on putting them on the cupcakes until I get to the reception. So will they survive and hold their shape once the cupcakes are set on the holder in the air? Will the air help to keep their shape for tonight?

cheeseball Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 3:00pm
post #5 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darthstefeny 
 

Thanks for your feedback. I had made the flowers a while back. I remember putting tylose in my first batch, then I forgot to put more in other batches when I was rolling the out to cut them. No I didn't put then in a fridge. I had them in a container for quite a few weeks. And I know the problem is, of course, that I forgot to add the tylose into the other batches before cutting them into shapes. The flowers are not fancy or anythings. Only a small 5 petal cuter with a few white sugar beads in the middle. And yesterday I had to frost the cupcakes with the buttercream as the wedding is today, Sept 7, and when I place the flowers on them I closed the lid on the cupcake container. And later went to check with a result of them sagging. So maybe heat created with the containers closed. I know it's not several days ahead, but I have the flowers on my table with a fan lightly blowing on them. And I don't plan on putting them on the cupcakes until I get to the reception. So will they survive and hold their shape once the cupcakes are set on the holder in the air? Will the air help to keep their shape for tonight?

Flowers on buttercream in a closed container - yep, that'll make them droop.  Unless it's very humid, they should be fine if you're placing the flowers at the reception.

Darthstefeny Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 3:07pm
post #6 of 20

Thanks you cheeseball. I decided to test try one out while I'm home. So I have the flowers in front of a fan and I put a cupcake with a flower on it on  a cupboard. And so far, knock on wood, it's holding it's shape. 

cheeseball Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 3:20pm
post #7 of 20

Great!  Having a "Dear...God... in...HEAVEN!" moment the day of an event is no fun, but it does get the blood going, huh?:lol:  Hope the rest of your day goes well!

scrumdiddlycakes Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 3:44pm
post #8 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheeseball 
 

Flowers on buttercream in a closed container - yep, that'll make them droop.  Unless it's very humid, they should be fine if you're placing the flowers at the reception.

Yes, 'tThis is why.

I put fondant flowers on butter cream all the time, and they last no problem without wilting or softening.

as you wish Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 3:59pm
post #9 of 20

AYes, I agree the closed container would be the problem. Seriously though, am I the only one who has problems with fondant on buttercream Every. Single. Time?! Is it just super-humid where I live or what? Gumpaste is alright, but fondant? Nope.

Cakespirations Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 4:16pm
post #10 of 20

AI put flowers on BC all the time with no problems and I live in the south which is about as humid as a rain forest. But If I put it in a closed container in the fridge I would expect nothing less than a sticky mess. I think air circulation is key. At least IMO :)

cheeseball Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 4:33pm
post #11 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cakespirations 

I live in the south which is about as humid as a rain forest. 

When I lived in Greensboro, I used to think the very same thing.  Now that I'm a lot further south, I realize how dry as toast (Oh!  Did ya know there's actually a Toast, NC?!?) it was in comparison:lol:

Cakespirations Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 4:49pm
post #12 of 20

LOL I didn't know, but I do know there is a Toast Restaurant in NC ;) Great place for breakfast. I have family that we visit in FL, There isn't enough money in the world to try to get me to do cakes there. One because of humidity and two, I am not fond of alligators. :) I cannot imagine trying pulled sugar and poured sugars there either. I miss CO.

cheeseball Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 5:01pm
post #13 of 20

Oh, no no, my friend....way further south than Florida...I'm in Central America - true rain forest.  Pulled sugar? *short burst of maniacal laughter* 

I visited Denver several years ago and the first thing that hit me was that caking would be awesome there.  My hair loved it there too:lol:

as you wish Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 5:15pm
post #14 of 20

AI live in Southern Ontario, which is surrounded by the Great Lakes. Although it isn't hot or rainforesty here at all, I think the lakes do make it pretty humid. I don't know why I seem to have more trouble than you guys do with keeping fondant in shape on buttercream, though.

Darthstefeny Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 5:37pm
post #15 of 20

AAs you Wish I live in New Brunswick and happens to be the worst place for humidity so I do have problems too when I comes to fondant and buttercream , lol. And that's why I loathed baking in the summer here. And today it's very windy, which is helping, but in the sun it's hot. I just hope the 20 mns drive to the reception will turn out ok. Good thing my AC is working fine. ;-) again, thanks all with the feedback. Much appreciated.

Cakespirations Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 5:48pm
post #16 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheeseball 
 

Oh, no no, my friend....way further south than Florida...I'm in Central America - true rain forest.  Pulled sugar? *short burst of maniacal laughter* 

I visited Denver several years ago and the first thing that hit me was that caking would be awesome there.  My hair loved it there too:lol:

 

 

I be it is beautiful though :)

scrumdiddlycakes Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 5:56pm
post #17 of 20

AThe only time I've really had an issue was when I wastrying out marshmallow fondant. I had added tylose and made little plaque toppers, aster about an hour they started to sag a bit. I put one in the fridge to see how it would do, and it all but melted. My regular fondant, I can leave on for his and put on the fridge for a little while, no problem.

Elcee Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 6:47pm
post #18 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheeseball 
 

 

I visited Denver several years ago and the first thing that hit me was that caking would be awesome there.  My hair loved it there too:lol:

Cake decorating here is awesome...baking is a whole other thing! :cowboy:

Cakespirations Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 6:49pm
post #19 of 20

A

Original message sent by Elcee

Cake [I]decorating[/I] here is awesome...[I]baking[/I] is a whole other thing! :cowboy:

That is the honest truth!!!!

cheeseball Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 7:10pm
post #20 of 20

:lol: I just remembered fussing at the cheesecake I baked while I was there, "What the eff is wrong with you??!"  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%