Sanding Gumpaste

Decorating By BatterUpCake Updated 7 Sep 2013 , 2:32pm by JWinslow

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 9:31am
post #1 of 16

Has anyone ever tried to sand imperfections out of a gumpaste figure? I am making a 2 tier peacock dummy cake. The peacock looked great until I put luster dust on. Now every minor imperfection is highlighted and driving me nuts. I thought maybe I could hit it with 220 or higher grit sandpaper. Has anyone ever tried this?

15 replies
ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 9:44am
post #2 of 16

Rather than try and get rid of the imperfections I would be more inclined to ADD texture - its not like a peacock is as smooth as a babies bottom....  it is feathered :)

Nadiaa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nadiaa Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 9:47am
post #3 of 16

I think it looks cute, and you did a great job! But it does look like a naked peacock, lol!

BatterUpCake Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 10:48am
post #4 of 16

Looking at pictures of other peacock cakes the body is very smooth..Of course I will be adding wings and a tail. It is going to be a gold an silver winter theme...When I add the other stuff it probably will cover the imperfections. I am just trying to learn to do smooth figures. Thank you both for the feedback...

Nadiaa Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 10:53am
post #5 of 16

I haven't seen any other peacock figures, but do you think they got it so smooth because they used a mold? And sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you were going to leave your little peacock with no plumage :)

BatterUpCake Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 10:57am
post #6 of 16

I have found pics on Pinterest with texture....now I want to do another one like that after this..lol I'm always being told I overthink things.

Nadiaa Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 11:02am
post #7 of 16

I think it's great that you're upping your skill level and trying new things. Every cake decorator should! I'm going to have to go and investigate these peacocks on Pinterest now :) Lucky my hubby is working until midnight, I can stay up and look at cake :lol:

BatterUpCake Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 11:07am
post #8 of 16

Some of those cakes are phenomenal! As soon as I saw one I knew I had to try. There are so many I want to try but there are not enough hours in the day or dollars in the bank. Especially after I start baking/pastry school on the 30th. They do some decorating but mostly it is the science of baking.... I would eventually like to do wedding cakes, but that won't be for awhile.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 11:11am
post #9 of 16

AYes, I have used a fine grit paper to sand raw edges & such

Nadiaa Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 11:23am
post #10 of 16

I love those peacocks that have the tails cascading down the tiers of the cake! Sooo beautiful! Well, the ones that are executed well are beautiful - hahaha!

BatterUpCake Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 12:12pm
post #11 of 16

Thanks DD....

Nadiaa, that is what I am going for. With any luck you will be able to tell that's what it is..lol The top tier of the cake I covered with white fondant and sparkly white sanding sugar "snow". I added textured wings to the bird and I am painting the beak gold extending up around his eyes which will be a Swarovski crystals. Still wondering about the wings..brush with gold and silver? The tail will have white teardrop feathers with a gold circle and then a silver dragee in the middle. The bottom tier will have some fondant embellishments in either silver or gold from one of my molds. I hope it looks as good in real life as it does in my head and not like an ugly pigeon. Then of course It will sit atop my Diamond collection cake stand..lol. But then what do I do with it?

Nadiaa Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 12:21pm
post #12 of 16

AHigh five yourself and stare at it :) Or advertise yourself as available for weddings :-D

BatterUpCake Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 12:28pm
post #13 of 16

lol...It's gonna take ore than 1 dummy cake to make me available for weddings. But that's a nice dream!

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 1:27pm
post #14 of 16

You can also use an emery board as an alternative to fine sandpaper.

BatterUpCake Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 2:04pm
post #15 of 16

I made a paste out of water and fondant ad smoothed it in the crevices and nooks. In doing so I messed up the pearl paint of course so I have to go buy some more. But here is my progress.

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 2:32pm
post #16 of 16

When I have sanded dried gum paste pieces I use a 220 grit or finer sandpaper.  I did this for a teacup I made.  Really cute peacock! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%