Friday Night Cake Club 9/6/13

Decorating By catlharper Updated 10 Sep 2013 , 7:51pm by manicgeisha

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 2:05pm
post #91 of 96

My "down" time each year, which is this time of year and right after the holidays, is when I make the dummies. Usually it is for the opportunity to try a technique that I've seen and don't want to attempt on a clients cake but mostly it's just to show clients new work and add to my portfolio. I let them sit around here for a week or two decorating up our space and then I strip them down for the next dummy cake. Oh, and of course, I do a bunch of them when I  have a Bridal show coming up. I always want at least 6 present for Brides to look at in person and then I also have pictures of other options as well. No Bridal show this year (we are going to Disneyland so that took away that budget<G>) but I only book a few Brides anyways from those and have never really thought they were all that great. The one thing I have done at Bridal shows is make professional connections that have panned out for more orders. I have a dummy cake this week I have plans for. I'm not all that great with buttercream so this one is covered in BC and then decorated with piped royal icing...something I also need practice with. I'll be working on it this weekend so I won't be sharing this Friday coming up but the following Friday instead.

Cat

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 6:23pm
post #92 of 96

Manic, Still a good job.  I haven't attempted to paint on cakes yet but want to especially when I see other's 

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 6:24pm
post #93 of 96

Welcome Sabrina,  Beautiful work.

manicgeisha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manicgeisha Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 6:28pm
post #94 of 96

Quote:

Originally Posted by auntginn 

Manic, Still a good job.  I haven't attempted to paint on cakes yet but want to especially when I see other's 

Thanks!    

I just have to stop short changing myself on time so I can actually do touch ups.    And I wish I had decided to do the pieced together construction on Friday when I wasn't sure what I was doing.   LOL, I only had about 3 hours to paint 3 panels.   I didn't take a single break, and do I ever feel it today.  Next time, I'll know better :)

manicgeisha Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 6:30pm
post #95 of 96

Cat- Good luck with the dummies!

manicgeisha Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 7:50pm
post #96 of 96

Welcome Sabrina.   Those are awesome set ups!  LOVE IT!

...I have really disjointed ways of reply to and reading threads, LOL.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%