Friday Night Cake Club 9/6/13

Decorating By catlharper Updated 10 Sep 2013 , 7:51pm by manicgeisha

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 2:37am
post #1 of 96

Opening up another session of the FNCC! Everyone is welcome to hang out, share their week, share photos, ask questions if they need help or provide help if they can.

Cat

95 replies
catlharper Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 2:38am
post #2 of 96

Hi everyone,

No cakes this week. It was a good thing too since I threw out my back on Tuesday and couldn't have made a cake if my career depended on it! LOL! But am doing just fine now. Hope to see lots of photos of your work this week!

Cat

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 2:46am
post #3 of 96

Quote:

Originally Posted by catlharper 

Hi everyone,

No cakes this week. It was a good thing too since I threw out my back on Tuesday and couldn't have made a cake if my career depended on it! LOL! But am doing just fine now. Hope to see lots of photos of your work this week!

Cat

Oh no Cat! :( Back pain is the worst, I hope you are feeling better, sounds like you need a warm bath and a cool drink!!

I had a busy week. I made my first display dummy for an upcoming bridal show ( a LOT of pearls and ruffles), a birthday cake for my mil and another small baseball birthday cake that I'm still working on. I'll post pics of it tomorrow, but here are my first 2.

Lots (and lots and lots) of fondant pearls and ruffles.

Geometric pink fondant ruffles (inspired by Jessicakes of course!!), extruded fondant scrolls and flowers.

coke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coke Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 3:01am
post #4 of 96

My grandaughter phoned  me to request a Barbie Doll cake with a white wedding dress for her 6th birthday,

she also asked that I bring my pens, stamps and inks (I knew what she has planning).

I of course complied!  At first she allowed her older siblings to help, but soon she took control! LOL

I2013-07-29 18.39.51.jpg                                   2013-07-30 16.37.12.jpg                                  2013-07-30 17.16.28.jpg

catlharper Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 3:31am
post #5 of 96

Six! Those are both just drop dead gorgeous! I look at those ruffles and think "ooooohhhhhhh nooooooo" LOL! They are amazing!

Coke...none of your photos show. Please do try to post again? I did a Barbie cake for the first time in 20 years just last week so I'm dying to see your photos!

Cat

tdovewings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdovewings Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 4:40am
post #6 of 96

Six, I didn't know you made that cake! I saw it earlier this week (pearl cake) and just stared at it for 15 minutes it so beautiful. The ruffles and pearls are just perfect.

A light week for me, a dinosaur themed cake and 4 dozen plain cupcakes. Much needed break as I am re-organizing my cake stuff yet again, and re-launching my website, re-designing my logo, and changing my business structure. Lots of meetings with accountants, lawyers, graphic designers and the such. 

Cat, I'm glad your back is better! 

I'll post pictures tomorrow after delivery.

Good night!

manicgeisha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manicgeisha Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 4:41am
post #7 of 96

urgh, another late friday for me.  I still haven't' decided on the design of my cake- AHHHH!    At least this one isn't due until Monday afternoon.  I have time but I want to start on something for it...I haven't' even settled on a cake recipe.   All I know is that I'm involving graphic tribal art, and blackberry frosting.

coke Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 4:43am
post #8 of 96

Okay, trying again

My grandaughter phoned  me to request a Barbie Doll cake with a white wedding dress for her 6th birthday,

she also asked that I bring my pens, stamps and inks (I knew what she has planning).

I of course complied!  At first she allowed her older siblings to help, but soon she took control! LOL

Barbie cake in white wedding dress

my 3 little decorators

Triumphant independent decorator

coke Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 4:45am
post #9 of 96

Six, those are beautiful!

manicgeisha Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 4:46am
post #10 of 96

Coke- they are adorable!   I'm so in love with doodle cakes.  I really need to make one for my kids one of these days.

catlharper Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 4:52am
post #11 of 96

Coke! What a cute idea and what a great way to get her invested in her cake! Totally great idea! Glad you were able to get them to post!

Cat

manicgeisha Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 4:57am
post #12 of 96

Six- Those are BEAUTIFUL!  

Cat- sorry about your back!  Hope you are getting lots of rest.

Ok, need to get off the computer and back to sketching.  I will make this cake...I will not chicken out and just make cupcakes like I have the last three times for my aunt.

Nadiaa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nadiaa Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 5:05am
post #13 of 96

Cat - I hope your back gets better soon xxx

Six - amazing work, I am totally in love with those pearls and ruffles!

Coke - Such an adorable idea, I love her artwork on her cake. 

Well, I have no photos this week. I haven't exactly been making finished cakes, but I have been working on my recipes and am totally happy I've found a chocolate cake I love, have perfected SMBC and made caramel SMBC (yum!), and am currently working on a caramel apple cake that I can do as cupcakes but can also adapt as a large cake flavour. 

Just cruising in the business planning stages by perfecting my recipes and honing my skills :)

catlharper Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 5:07am
post #14 of 96

Nadiaa...that caramel sounds YUMMY! Sounds like you are having fun experimenting! LOL!

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 5:14am
post #15 of 96

Good Evening everyone, I'm being a procrastinator tonight.  I have 1 cake for the weekend and I guess it will be pretty much all night because I'm just getting started really.  Cakes are baked and starting to assemble the layers and tiers.  A 10" round cake with a 6" minion cake popping out.  Its actually my 1st minion cake.

I had an order of 100 cake pops yesterday and a cake pop class tomorrow afternoon.  Other than that pretty slow for me as well.  Working on Roses for some dummy cakes.  I'm going to have a small photo shoot within the next month to upgrade my website.

Six, I am so.. impressed, envious actually. 

Coke, what a beautiiful Barbie doll cake.  If I did that around here, I think the little girls would fight over her and she'd be destroyed. rofl..

I'll check back later and take a peak at what everyone else is doing.

Nadiaa Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 5:17am
post #16 of 96

Quote:

Nadiaa...that caramel sounds YUMMY! Sounds like you are having fun experimenting! LOL!

It tastes so good :) I actually have some caramel sauce left over in the fridge that just HAPPENS to have a spoon in it! And yes, I am sneaking a spoonful every chance I get 

:lol:

catlharper Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 5:24am
post #17 of 96

Ginn, I love the Minnion cakes...I won't make my first one till December. My mom is crazy for those little yellow things so that's the theme of her birthday cake this year. Can't wait to see how yours turns out!

Cat

lescrumptious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lescrumptious Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 8:03am
post #18 of 96

Quote:

Hi everyone,

Cat

Cat I think mine is going out as we speak! I just pain medication its that bad, and its not working. I can't believe I thought 200 cupcakes would be easier than a cake. Someone hold me, lol. 

MustangMollie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MustangMollie Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 10:21am
post #19 of 96

Last Sunday was Father's Day here in Australia so here's the cake I made for my husband and father-in-law. It's only the second cake I've done in fondant ... it has some issues, but I'm pretty happy with it overall  :)

Nadiaa Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 10:23am
post #20 of 96

I bet your Dad loved it MustangMollie :) You did such a great job with fondant for only your second go! Such a cool cake. 

MustangMollie Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 10:24am
post #21 of 96

Six your cakes are gorgeous!!!

MustangMollie Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 10:26am
post #22 of 96

Coke, what an awesome Babie cake! Sounds like the girls had fun with it :)

auntginn Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 12:39pm
post #23 of 96

MustangMollie, What a great cake, I don't know what issues you had, from my view everything looks great.

auntginn Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 12:59pm
post #24 of 96

Done!!  Well all it needs is the plague with the birthday girl's name.

Nadiaa Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 1:14pm
post #25 of 96

AHe is so cute! I love the Minions :) Awesome work.

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 1:30pm
post #26 of 96

Hi guys, some great cakes.  No cakes for me this week and maybe not for a while.  I put on sooooo much weight whilst away last week (and during the July holiday) that I am going to have to do something about it.  Maybe I will practise my flowers for a couple of months.

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 1:32pm
post #27 of 96

SIx...I LOVE your cakes. I was looking at your flower  one this morning and thinking "I want to make that!" I need to become an apprentice! The Dad and minion cakes are super cute... I could see the picture of the Barbie cake but not the second 2...

My cupcake and Mask order got cancelled. I hate when people use the family emergency line when I suspect it is more along the lines of "Holy crap! I just agreed to pay $180 for CUPCAKES?!?!?" lol I don't mind though. Gives me more time to work on cake stands without any pressure. Although I will miss the money. And no I did not get a deposit! Please don't yell at me! lol

I am doing a dummy cake. It is going to be 2 tier. It will have a pearlescent, silver and gold peacock on top. The top tier has white sugar crystals to look like snow. Not sure yet what to do with the bottom tier. I am thinking of painting it silver with gold accents...or gold with silver accents? Oh and I bought some flowers and painted them with pearl luster dust to put on each tier. Just can't remember what they are called? lol The tail will cascade down the side. Will post pictures of what I have accomplished in a bit.

Happy caking!

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 2:38pm
post #28 of 96

Thanks everyone! I love trying new things, so this week's cakes were really fun (especially since I had full creative control!!)

Coke- I love your Barbie cake, I bet your grandaughter loved creating it with you - and think of the memories you made together!!

MustangMollie - I love your name!! :) My first car was an old '65 Mustang, so I'm a little partial to those! Your father's day cake is great, the logo is so cool!

Auntginn- I love your Minion cake - he's so stinkin' cute with his little tongue! :)

Here's my last one for the weekend - a small client birthday cake, but it was fun doing the stitching and the logo, not super happy with the board, but it's finished and a little too late to change it now! 

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 2:50pm
post #29 of 96

board looks great to me....Here is where I am on my peacock...

JenniSize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniSize Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 3:01pm
post #30 of 96

Our cake was due last night. And we didn't realize it until 11 p.m. Thursday night!! We kept checking our job ticket for other details. It had the correct date, we just had it set in our minds that weddings are on Saturdays. So we were like, "yeah, Saturday, September 6, 2013, got it." Luckily, all the cakes were baked and cooling. Had to make a midnight trip to the grocery store for icing supplies. Who buys 20lbs of powdered sugar at midnight? We do! We had a four tier wedding cake and a scuba diver themed groom's cake. With only the cakes baked at 11 p.m. we had less than 24 hours to get everything done. After a loonnng night, a short nap and an even shorter day, we delivered not on time, but an hour early! Needless to day, Friday night was spent sleeping. :grin:

And here are the results!

AppleMark

The first three tiers were Sour Cream White cake. The top had Chocolate Buttercream filling, the next two tiers had Orange Cream filling. The bottom tier was Peanut Butter Cup cake with Chocolate Ganache filling. Chocolate Buttercream icing on the outside with shells provided by the bride and groom. Real ribbon was a replacement for fondant bands and probably gave us that extra hour.

AppleMark

AppleMark

Fresh Strawberry cake with Fresh Strawberry filling and Vanilla Buttercream icing. Fondant/Gumpaste decorations. The poor octopus had to put up a fight when I put it in the box. The darn lid wouldn't stay closed so I kept forcing it until it finally stayed closed. When we got there I figured out why it wouldn't stay closed. So the octopus had a couple of war wounds. The scuba diver was falling off and because I kept smashing it down, the strawberry filling was coming out the bottom. It's a good thing we had that extra hour. I was able to fix everything but the poor octopus. The cake started out with smooth sides, but turned out okay with the wavy finish.

Whew! Needless to say we are reviewing everything and putting up job boards / calendars so hopefully this wont happen again. It worked out this time, but we can't afford to take chances.

Next week: A tasting on Friday morning and two weddings on Saturday. I double checked that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%