Starting New Business

Decorating By fagpie Updated 6 Sep 2013 , 1:32pm by kikiandkyle

fagpie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fagpie Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 3:47am
post #1 of 6

Hello All,

I have been baking for as long as I can remember, my great grandma taught me at a very young age. This year I decided to take a huge step and start my own cake/baked goods business in the Portland Oregon area. I am currently creating a price list and I am having some issues coming up with total costs. I feel like I am doing the math wrong and that cost of the cake is very low.

Does anyone have any tips?

Help?

Maybe its just getting late and I may be sleepy.

any advice would be highly appreciated!

5 replies
Nadiaa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nadiaa Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 3:53am
post #2 of 6

Take a peek around Jason's blog. All the answers you need are there : ) 

http://jasonkraftblog.wordpress.com/2013/05/14/the-magic-pricing-formula/

fagpie Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 3:55am
post #3 of 6

Thanks, I also feel like I should note that all cakes and frosting are 100% from scratch. i am new here :)

fagpie Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 4:07am
post #4 of 6

Okay from what the blog says, it looks like I'm on the right track. Just have a lot of costs to figure out aka lots of ingredients. Should I have the same cost per slice for every cake?

Nadiaa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nadiaa Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 4:21am
post #5 of 6

Hmm, I don't have a business, so haven't ventured into the world of costing yet. But, from looking at various professional caker's sites, most seem to have a core set of cake flavours that cost the same per serving, then some fancier ones that are a bit more. I guess then it depends on filling and frosting too. And how elaborate the decorations are. So, unless it's a pretty basic cake, I'm going to go out on a limb and say the cost per serving would vary. Hopefully a more knowledgeable person can help you soon!

BTW, welcome to CC! 

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 1:32pm
post #6 of 6

AMost people have a standard list that is the same price, and then so offer 'premium fillings' at an extra charge. The same goes for decoration, you have a base price and then start adding on for additional details. You'll probably end up making more on some flavors than others, but its just easier for your clients if you have one price. You have to make sure that your base price still nets you enough on your highest cost flavor.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%