Gum Paste Ingredient Cost?

Business By dg1248 Updated 6 Sep 2013 , 3:20am by dg1248

dg1248 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dg1248 Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 2:29am
post #1 of 7

AHello! Sorry if this has been asked already. I searched but couldn't find exactly what I needed. I'm trying to make my list of all my ingredients and the cost per unit and such. Well I'm completely confused on how to go about charging for gum paste. I normally buy the 1lb gum tex mix and sometimes I use a lot, other times I don't. So how do I go about deciding how much I should put down as a cost?

6 replies
dg1248 Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 2:42am
post #2 of 7

AAlso, I'm having a brain fart and I hate math so I need help. I buy a 24oz bottle of vegetable oil for $2.80. That's .12 an ounce because I just divide 2.80 by 24? Now I need to find out how much it is for 1/3cup of oil. So since there are 8 ounces in a cup I did .12 times 8 which equals .96 for 1 cup them divide that by 3 to get .32 for 1/3 cup? Is that right?

cakefat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefat Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 2:43am
post #3 of 7

So are you selling gum paste or are you selling something made from gum paste? Flowers, etc?

dg1248 Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 2:49am
post #4 of 7

AThings made from gum paste such as flowers, figurines, etc.

cakefat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefat Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 3:02am
post #5 of 7

I would take into account your material costs of course, but your price has to include your time, etc. Some charge by the hour, and some charge per piece..I guess it depends on how many you're making and how long it's taken you. 

I'm not going to figure out your math for you (I'm at work, doing the same thing for my job)..but use excel, it helps for calculations/formulas.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 3:17am
post #6 of 7

A

Original message sent by dg1248

Also, I'm having a brain fart and I hate math so I need help. I buy a 24oz bottle of vegetable oil for $2.80. That's .12 an ounce because I just divide 2.80 by 24? Now I need to find out how much it is for 1/3cup of oil. So since there are 8 ounces in a cup I did .12 times 8 which equals .96 for 1 cup them divide that by 3 to get .32 for 1/3 cup? Is that right?

That's correct, assuming a cup of vegetable oil weighs 8 ounces. You'll find it easier to price ingredients if you convert all volume measurements to weights, and you'll also get more consistent results.

If you are pricing gumpaste flowers/figures/etc. most of the cost will probably be in the labor.

dg1248 Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 3:20am
post #7 of 7

A

Original message sent by jason_kraft

That's correct, assuming a cup of vegetable oil weighs 8 ounces. You'll find it easier to price ingredients if you convert all volume measurements to weights, and you'll also get more consistent results.

If you are pricing gumpaste flowers/figures/etc. most of the cost will probably be in the labor.

Awesome!! Thank you Jason!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%