Why??

Decorating By Xiony Updated 7 Sep 2013 , 3:13am by morganchampagne

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 5:10pm
post #31 of 42

AI did a cake that was a close copy of one that a big bakery was selling a tutorial on, I didn't really post the photos much because I didn't actually buy the tutorial, I just used their photos as inspiration and made a few changes. I felt bad about not buying the tutorial but still using the idea! Seems silly, I'm sure they don't care.

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 5:13pm
post #32 of 42

I am a hobby baker so let me start off with that.  I know some people have made cakes based on some photos I've posted. Some are very similar and some are not, Cool.  I taught myself (with the help of all of you and other video sources) so it's flattering.  I've also copied a cake or idea and credited the source when I posted it or sent a PM.  

Wouldn't it be great if we all got credit for what we do!  Some days I'd just like to get credit for finally picking up the dry cleaning from the store next to me!  

Please don't take it personally OP, look forward to your next idea!

Theresa

MaurorLess67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaurorLess67 Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 6:57pm
post #33 of 42

AI would try to be flattered- it would have been nice if a notation was made "inspired by- copied/recreated etc". I have on many occasions made those notations-- I always try to contact the original designer and ask permission- or send my cake photo-- Im only a hobby baker so I don't sell my work-

I have read many posts by cake designers on this forum and facebook who get VERY upset when their original work is not referenced- and sometimes even when it is referenced!!

Im always so thankful for cake artists who share their creations and techniques/tutorials!!

The copy is VERY close to your original design- yes, it would have been appropriate to be referenced-- Im sure your feelings would be completely different if they had-- you would be flattered and smiling-

It's an adorable cake!!!

Mo

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 7:27pm
post #34 of 42

AThe only thing that bothers me is people who steal photos and pass them off as theirs, but making a similar design? Eh, what can you really do.

AZCouture Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 7:29pm
post #35 of 42

AAnd you can pretty much forget about referencing the original designer of a LOT of cakes nowadays. Pinterest and all the unlinked pins, it's impossible to track down the original creator sometimes.

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 8:43pm
post #36 of 42

AZCouture, I am still trying to figure out Pinterest myself !  But I know some of my cakes have been repinned and when I try to follow where they have been pinned I can see that it no longer looks like it came from me.  So I don't know how people figure it out unless you watermark your photos.

I started off in advertising years ago and when someone "stole" one of my headlines in their own ad, my boss told me "A good idea is always worth stealing".     Still true, apparently, even though what he said to me then did not make me feel better - and that was close to 30 years ago!!

AZCouture Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 8:47pm
post #37 of 42

AThat's it, if you don't have a watermark, or it's been removed or cropped, and it gets pinned and repinned over and over...it can be impossible to track a persondown.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 9:02pm
post #38 of 42

I would definitely use caution about giving credit. I ran across a copy of one of my cakes and they had given credit to a bakery where I also found another copy of my design.

Very few of us creates anything original or special enough to be considered art and I don't understand getting all up in arms if someone copies one's work. The vast majority of us are artisans, not artists. Sure we're artistic, but that's not the same as being an artist.

I keep a file of copies of my cakes for fun, I am complimented when someone copies them.  And when I see that someone's liked my work enough to copy it, I feel a little more like an artist and less like a artistic person crafting pretty cakes. It's a good feeling, but I'm not going to fool myself about what I do.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 9:15pm
post #39 of 42

Quote:

Originally Posted by morganchampagne 

I know that you are probably not getting the responses you wanted. & I hope that you don't get all worked up reading them. But the reality is people are going to like your ideas and be inspired by your work. To be fair to the other designer, I think she kept a respectful distance of your original design.

The other reason people are not following behind you with torches and pitchforks (lol) is that we see SO many worse offenses. We have seen people just straight take a picture of very intricate work (that they likely can not even do) and place it on their Facebook, some even get bold and put in on here as their avatars. AND some don't even remove the watermark!! They just don't care

So please don't get offended at all the responses. I think a more positive view of this is that somebody liked your work, and got inspired! At least they had enough sense to not do it exactly icon_smile.gif

I see that said a lot and don't understand at all - what difference does it make if they make a slight change or not? (I put that part of the quote in bold myself to highlight it.)

Nadiaa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nadiaa Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 9:55pm
post #40 of 42

Do you know what I think is super duper hilarious? Is the people who get all upset about people 'copying' their designs and when you look at their pics they have a few cakes that have been designed with copies of licensed images. But they see nothing wrong with that? Hmmm, maybe they can now see why Disney and Co get upset! Lol!

AZCouture Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 10:25pm
post #41 of 42

AI rarely use another cake for inspiration, but I did awhile back, and it was a photo from my client who got it from Pinterest of course, no watermark, etc. etc. I scanned the web for where it came from, realized after the 9th pin, I was getting nowhere, and gave up. It's just not our jobs or responsibility to go to the ends of the earth to figure out who made something first. I'm all for crediting when humanly possible, but that's the key; when it's humanly possible.

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 3:13am
post #42 of 42

A

Original message sent by howsweet

I see that said a lot and don't understand at all - what difference does it make if they make a slight change or not? (I put that part of the quote in bold myself to highlight it.)

It was just added to kind of make the OP cheer up a little and look at it differently. Copying is copying no matter what. Just trying to point out some positives that's all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%