First Consultation - What Do I Ask?!?!

Decorating By laurennp89 Updated 6 Sep 2013 , 2:18am by Sassyzan

laurennp89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurennp89 Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 1:25am
post #1 of 7

Hey everyone!!

This coming Sunday I will be meeting with a bride and groom to be about their wedding cake. All I know right now are the number of people, that they want red velvet, and the date of the big day..

what are some questions I can ask them to get a better feel for what they specifically want!? I have never done a wedding cake before so I am unsure as to how to go about this one! Hoping someone can help me... also how do I price a wedding cake???

Thank you for any feed back,

Lauren

6 replies
Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 1:35am
post #2 of 7

There are many posts about pricing cakes on this website, so set aside some time to read through them.  Some of them are very helpful.   No one can really tell anyone else how to price a cake because it depends on so many different factors, such as cost of ingredients, market value, demographic, expectations of the customer, overhead...

As for questions, ask the bride her budget, colors, personal sense of style.  Is she classic, contemporary or a hipster (in that case you can bake a pie.)  

I bet the bride will have some pictures to show you of ideas she has in mind.  If not, make sure you have lots of magazines and pictures for her to look at, just like when you go to a hair salon where there are books with pictures of haircuts.

Since this is your first wedding cake, make sure you show her pictures of other cakes you have done.

I also hope you have a legal and legitimate business, that is a sticking point on this forum.

laurennp89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurennp89 Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 1:40am
post #3 of 7

What do you mean by having a legitimate business..? The couple already told me that they do not need the person to be licensed in order to do their cake.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 1:51am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurennp89 

What do you mean by having a legitimate business..? The couple already told me that they do not need the person to be licensed in order to do their cake.

This is code for "want cheap cake." (Also, might be code for troll alert.)

Nadiaa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nadiaa Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 1:59am
post #5 of 7

Hmm, the longer I'm on CC, the more I don't understand the following:

1) Why on earth, would someone do a wedding cake for the first time for a real bride. Um, I would do a heap of practice cakes at home first before I felt remotely comfortable doing that. 

2) If you have a cake business, how can you not know what to charge? I mean, isn't it part of your business plan, pricing structure etc???

3) If you don't have a cake business....you have no business charging for cakes. 

And yeah, could also be one of those green warty guys that live under a bridge :) 

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 2:03am
post #6 of 7

not licensed and taking money=illegal.  So the couple is fine helping you break the law.  Nice.  

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 2:18am
post #7 of 7

AThe crafty class for starting a cake business comes with a blank form to fill out at a consultation. The class also covers pricing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%