Just Annoyed...

Lounge By BatterUpCake Updated 7 Sep 2013 , 2:02pm by cheeseball

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 11:44pm
post #1 of 11

There is a children's event coming up that I had planned on being a vendor for. I have spoken with them several times about itand was just waiting for registration to open. I spent about $80 on cake dummies, bought licensed figures for Jake and the Pirates, Sophia the first, Tinkerbell, and Doc McStuffins....NOT CHEAP!!

Well registration opens and I go to register and they say "Oh we have a cake vendor that has been with us for 2 years. We only want one" Ummm...could you have mentioned that before when I explained what I planned to do?

So they offer me the phone # of the event coordinator in a different city...Ummm hellooooo??? People are not going to drive through the bridge tunnel to get a cake from someone they saw at an event. I

I have been planning this for a couple of months. I am really disappointed and more than a little ticked off. Seems like every event I want to attend I hit a brick wall....Grrrrrrrr

10 replies
cakefat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefat Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 2:26am
post #2 of 11

Too bad that didn't communicate clearly with you before, when you told them you did cakes and they already had a cake vendor but you can use the dummies and toy figurines to build up your portfolio / and practice. 

BatterUpCake Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 2:38am
post #3 of 11

Yeah..I know I can still use them but it still sucks..lol

manicgeisha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manicgeisha Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 6:22am
post #4 of 11

Thats really crummy!   

Nadiaa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nadiaa Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 6:23am
post #5 of 11

Awww, that does suck. Nothing much I can say but big hugs and you've got some great stuff for your business! xxx

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 7:19am
post #6 of 11

AAre they dead set against having two vendors this time?

BatterUpCake Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 10:26am
post #7 of 11

Yeah they are....but that's ok. I can still do the cakes and put the pictures online. I really want to do more kids cakes. Those are just a lot of fun for me.

ericapraga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericapraga Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 11:07am
post #8 of 11

That sucks! I run a custom order bakery and I have a couple of festivals coming up. At one of them, there are 4 cupcake trucks (what is up with that?) and 3 ice cream/gelato people! I always have to explain that I do not sell ONLY cupcakes, I am actually a bakery, with pies and cookies and pretty much everything else because they try to turn me down each time. At the same festival last year, they put me in the back of a parking lot BEHIND a cupcake tent-I lost a bit of money on product that should have sold, but people bought at the cupcake tent first.

Just keep plugging away! At least now you have the characters, should somebody order them!

BatterUpCake Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 11:22am
post #9 of 11

I do have an order for Doc McStuffins coming up next month....

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 11:55am
post #10 of 11

Communication is always an ongoing issue. Especially the events that have inexperienced employees with no understanding about how businesses operate. I suggest you keep a few standard statements as your basic communication tools. Keep reiterating what you do and how it fits with their event. Repeat back to them what they have just told you and ask them to confirm what you just said.

cheeseball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheeseball Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 2:02pm
post #11 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by MimiFix 

Communication is always an ongoing issue. Especially the events that have inexperienced employees with no understanding about how businesses operate. I suggest you keep a few standard statements as your basic communication tools. Keep reiterating what you do and how it fits with their event. Repeat back to them what they have just told you and ask them to confirm what you just said.

It is amazing what happens when you don't do this.  Especially when your accents differ:lol: 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%