A recipe for a not-so-sweet buttercream, only for underneath fondant

Baking By neda_la Updated 5 Sep 2013 , 9:41pm by jennicake

neda_la Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 6:16pm
post #1 of 5

Hello everyone,

I have few customers that are really fed up of the sweetness of fondant and the buttercream underneath it. I sometimes make a very low sugar whipped cream as a filling, but most of them like buttercream inside the cake! I have convinced them that there is nothing I can do with the fondant, but I really need a recipe for the normal(American) buttercream recipe with much less sugar.

The Swiss Meringue and Italian Meringue has too much of a butter taste, and I have used lemon juice and pineapple juice in the buttercream to reduce the sweetness. But I still think it is very sweet!! Please let me know if you have any recipe that could help! I always think this is a weak point in my work!:)

Thanks

4 replies
as you wish Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 6:50pm
post #2 of 5

AHave you tried using ganache? Your customers might really enjoy it. Outside of using IMBC or SMBC I don't know how you can make buttercream less sweet. Honestly, it makes me a bit nuts when people say they want frosting that isn't so sweet, but also not too buttery. What do they want? Cake frosted with Crisco?!

ashtree36 Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 9:29pm
post #4 of 5

AThere are recipies where you put flour and liquid in a pot and cook it until it is frosting consistensy and add it too a mixture of sugar and butter for a less intense buttery or sugary flavour. I was extremely suspicious but I made one of them and it was the best frosting I've ever had. One thing, if the recipe says use granulated sugar, the frosting will be a little granular in a way I personally like, but if you want a smoother frosting use powdered sugar. http://thebakingpan.com/recipes/frosting/vanilla-buttercream-frosting/

jennicake Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 9:41pm
post #5 of 5

I use more egg whites and less butter than normal in my SMBC and it doesn't taste all that buttery anymore.  If you want to give it a shot the proportions are 2 parts egg whites, 3 parts sugar and 3 parts butter.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%