Any Suggestions For This Dress?

Decorating By therealmrsriley Updated 5 Sep 2013 , 10:46pm by therealmrsriley

therealmrsriley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
therealmrsriley Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 5:54pm
post #1 of 11

I have a client that wants this exact cake for this weekend. I'm thinking of just using the end of one of my modeling tools to create the lines in the dress, but I'm checking to see if anyone else has a better suggestion. I'm the worst at getting straight, even lines.

10 replies
cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 6:20pm
post #2 of 11

photo?  link?

therealmrsriley Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 7:08pm
post #3 of 11

Dang it! I copied and pasted it and I guess it didn't work. Let me know if  you can't see this.

cakeyouverymuch Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 8:08pm
post #4 of 11

Absolutely love that cake!

I'd probably use a ruler to lightly mark the lines before using the modeling tool to score the lines.  I guess you could lightly mark the lines with a ribbon cutter also, but you'd have to be careful not to mark them too deeply.  Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but would like to know how it goes.

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 8:19pm
post #5 of 11

I would probably try rolling the fondant out over something like corrugated cardboard to get the lines.  You'd obviously need it to be something that the fondant wouldn't stick to, though.

therealmrsriley Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 8:21pm
post #6 of 11

Thanks for the suggestions. I will probably end up using the end of the modeling tool to get that deep indentation on the dress and TAKE MY TIME.  You're right about the ribbon cutter as it would possibly mark it too deeply. Of course, I'll post the finished product! :)

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 8:56pm
post #7 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizzieAylett 

I would probably try rolling the fondant out over something like corrugated cardboard to get the lines.  You'd obviously need it to be something that the fondant wouldn't stick to, though.

I like that idea....I always try to find tings I can use at home before going out and buying a $40 tool but I don't think I would have thought of that

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 9:48pm
post #8 of 11

How about marking the lines with a dowel? You can just push it into the fondant and it will leave a straight groove. Probably quicker than using a pointy tool and a ruler. 

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 10:11pm
post #9 of 11

I would mark the lines with a cooling rack!  The bars on mine are about that width apart, and you wouldn't have to individually score each line

cakeyouverymuch Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 10:25pm
post #10 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennicake 

I would mark the lines with a cooling rack!  The bars on mine are about that width apart, and you wouldn't have to individually score each line

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayti 

How about marking the lines with a dowel? You can just push it into the fondant and it will leave a straight groove. Probably quicker than using a pointy tool and a ruler.

Both great ideas.  You'd still have to go over the lines with the modeling tool to get that slightly stretched fabric look at the lower edge.  Still, it would be way less time consuming than the ruler.

therealmrsriley Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 10:46pm
post #11 of 11

ADoing the lines with a dowel is a good idea. I may have to reinforce it with the modeling tool but that'll keep it consistent.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%