Airbrush Concerns....

Decorating By Keliames Updated 18 Sep 2005 , 3:34pm by alimonkey

Keliames Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Keliames Posted 18 Sep 2005 , 4:03am
post #1 of 7

I have just ordered the Kopykake airbrush system along with the colors and a new book about airbrushing cakes. I am a little nervous as I have never done airbrushing before. I am really excited about learning, is it hard to pick up? I am thinking about taking an airbrush class at Micheals, would that be worth my while? And one last question, are the colors flavored and if I spray somthing black is it going to taste bad? Sorry, I am having a little bit of buyers remorse, so I hope this purchase will be worth it. Thanks for any help! Keli

6 replies
alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 18 Sep 2005 , 8:27am
post #2 of 7

I've never used the Kopykake airbrush - only the ones for painting, and I don't think you really need classes, especially if you're just using it for shading and rough coloring. If you want to try to paint pictures on a cake, you really just need to know the basics and go to it!

Other than basic operation of the airbrush, which control the size of the spray pattern & the amount of paint coming out of the brush, I would say the most important thing you need to keep in mind is layering your color. Lighter colors first, darker colors last.

Good luck, have fun, and watch out for those hand cramps!! icon_biggrin.gif

Ali

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 18 Sep 2005 , 12:18pm
post #3 of 7

Good luck with your new purcahase! I have a Kopykake airbrush to but haven't used it that much...but I hope to! The colors are not flavored, so no need to worry about that!!

SugarCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarCreations Posted 18 Sep 2005 , 12:27pm
post #4 of 7

Heck! You will be alright.You had to learn cake decorating right? Well you can do this.

piklpop2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
piklpop2 Posted 18 Sep 2005 , 1:00pm
post #5 of 7

Don't worry about the taste, there isn't any! I have one that I'm learning to use, and I'm self taught. Just do it as they say! I'm NOT an artist so I can't do portraits or such things but I have used it some. You can see some examples I've used in my photos. The bowling ball and lanes, dinosaur, indian, & school building were all partially airbrused. I'll help if I can. Just PM me. Good luck with it.

Keliames Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Keliames Posted 18 Sep 2005 , 1:48pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you all so much for your help. I hope that I will be able to pick it up quickly. I am not much of an artist either but I would love to be able to do portriates someday. I ordered the big 9 0z bottles to go with it, how long do they last? Will I be replacing them often? Thanks again. Keli

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 18 Sep 2005 , 3:34pm
post #7 of 7

A 9 oz bottle should last you forever.

Ali

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%