Need Help With Mixing Batter For Cakes/cupcakes

Decorating By mnurlife Updated 6 Sep 2013 , 4:23pm by morganchampagne

mnurlife Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 2:15am
post #1 of 4

Ok I should know the answer to this already but I thought I'd ask because I have heard a few different things. If this is already posted I apologize.  When mixing batter for cakes/cupcakes, How long should I whip the butter for?? I heard to whip it up to ten minutes really making sure air gets into it, but I also heard that over whipping can make/cause your cakes/cupcakes to shrink. I know once you add the rest of the ingredients to make sure you don't over mix, but I was really confused about the butter.  Any answers would be great.

I'm asking because I made some cupcakes that rose beautifully and while the first batch stayed pretty much the same size the second and third batch (more so the second) really shrunk down. I'm just trying to figure out the promblem. They still look good and have a nice crumb but it frustrates me when things don't turn out (my perfectionist comes out in the kitchen lol). Thank you in advance!! 

P.S yay my first post!!! 

Matt

3 replies
morganchampagne Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 6:19am
post #2 of 4

AI use something called the reverse creaming method, where you add the butter to the dry ingredients with some of the liquid and go from there. ( kind of long to explain)

However for the traditional way, I have found that with room temp butter, 5 minutes it's the best time. Hope that helps.

mnurlife Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 9:34pm
post #3 of 4

Hello and thank you for the reply. I used the reverse creaming method once and come to think of it they were some really good cupcakes. Do you know if I can use that method on any cupcake recipe? I will make sure I keep to five minutes if using the normal way. Thank you so much!

morganchampagne Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 4:23pm
post #4 of 4

AI do it for all cakes. EXCEPT for the ones they use all purpose flour. I don't do it for those. But I rarely use a cake these days that takes all purpose.

No problem! Glad I could help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%