Waaalaaah! Viola? Vwala?

Lounge By AZCouture Updated 12 Sep 2013 , 3:29am by vgcea

AZCouture Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 8:30pm
post #1 of 34

AThat is all. Oh, it's voila, and probably needs one of those fancy line thingies over one of the letters too, but spelling it right at least is a start.

Not being snarky, I just genuinely wonder what makes people think that word is spelled all those different ways? Like waaalaaa is in the dictionary somewhere? Just wondering, not being a snark...I promise. :-)

33 replies
AZCouture Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 8:31pm
post #2 of 34

Now I suppose if you are phonetically writing it for someone, then wah lah would be correct. :D

AZCouture Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 8:33pm
post #3 of 34

Oh my, here's my answer. (warning, cuss words afoot) http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Wah%20lah

scrumdiddlycakes Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 8:37pm
post #4 of 34

hehe, waaalaaaaaa. I never knew that's what people were trying to say.

Dayti Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 8:41pm
post #5 of 34

It's a pet peeve of mine too. Also, a viola is a musical instrument, not an expression.

AZCouture Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 8:42pm
post #6 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayti 
 

It's a pet peeve of mine too. Also, a viola is a musical instrument, not an expression.

That too! And if you look at the word viola, how can you think it would sound like waahlahh? 

scrumdiddlycakes Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 8:49pm
post #7 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZCouture 
 

That too! And if you look at the word viola, how can you think it would sound like waahlahh? 

The v is French so it sounds like 'waah', and the io is silent, you know, since it's French.

jason_kraft Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 8:52pm
post #8 of 34

AI always thought it was spelled "ta-da".

Or if you want to be classy, "behold!".

AZCouture Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 8:57pm
post #9 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrumdiddlycakes 
 

The v is French so it sounds like 'waah', and the io is silent, you know, since it's French.

Yeah, but I'm a phonics nerd, so vio would never sound like that. Voi, yes.

kikiandkyle Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 9:43pm
post #10 of 34

AI hate that, wallah is my personal least favorite. Of course, since I speak French it is particularly offensive to me.

I also have a pet peeve with Dutch names, since a lot of people have Dutch surnames but don't know how to pronounce them, like Rebecca Romijn says ro-mane but it should be ro-mine. Because I also speak Dutch.

jennicake Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 10:18pm
post #11 of 34

AHee hee

Original message sent by AZCouture

Oh my, here's my answer. (warning, cuss words afoot) [URL=http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Wah%20lah]http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Wah%20lah[/URL]

scrumdiddlycakes Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 11:07pm
post #12 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZCouture 
 

Yeah, but I'm a phonics nerd, so vio would never sound like that. Voi, yes.

Just in case you didn't realize I was being a turd... I was just being a turd. lol

AZCouture Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 11:22pm
post #13 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrumdiddlycakes 
 

Just in case you didn't realize I was being a turd... I was just being a turd. lol

((sigh)) No, I did not. I have failed. :(

kaylawaylalayla Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 11:29pm
post #14 of 34

AI never knew that people didn't pronounce the v. I guess on the internet that point is mute. ( haha I kill me)

maybenot Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 1:00am
post #15 of 34

Well, the "v" isn't silent. Phonetically, it's "vwa-la" 

 

You can hear people pronounce it here: http://www.forvo.com/word/voil%C3%A0/

jennicake Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 1:04am
post #16 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaylawaylalayla 

I never knew that people didn't pronounce the v. I guess on the internet that point is mute. ( haha I kill me)

 

:lol:

manicgeisha Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 6:26am
post #17 of 34

I never knew what people were trying to say when they misspell it until someone pointed it out to me, now I notice all over the internet.   My keyboard has been stuck in accent mode forever and finally a use for it; voilà!  

LizzieAylett Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 8:51am
post #18 of 34

I also am a bit confused at the use of marshmellow.  Is that actually an Americanisation of marshmallow, or are people mucking it up unknowingly?

knlcox Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 9:04am
post #19 of 34

I hate that.  I thought I was the only one that didn't like when people do not use "voila". I can't stand "walaaaaah"??  I really have no idea how it's spelled but I hate it anyway! lol  

cakefat Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 9:49am
post #20 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzieAylett 
 

I also am a bit confused at the use of marshmellow.  Is that actually an Americanisation of marshmallow, or are people mucking it up unknowingly?

sounds like it's a mucking up. 

 

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=marshmellow

 

 

1. marshmellow 

 

59 up26 down  

1. Common misspelling of marshmallow 

 

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshmallow

 

 

 

And:

 

voilà [vwala]...the "V" is soft..

emetz74 Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 11:10am
post #21 of 34

I am a French teacher so I can answer this for you. It's voilà. Cakefat's right, the V is soft; it sounds more like a W.

AZCouture Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 4:33pm
post #22 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by emetz74 
 

I am a French teacher so I can answer this for you. It's voilà. Cakefat's right, the V is soft; it sounds more like a W.

 

Yep, I know exactly how it is spelled and pronounced. I just couldn't make the little ' over the a. :D

AZCouture Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 4:34pm
post #23 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZCouture 
 

Now I suppose if you are phonetically writing it for someone, then wah lah would be correct. :D

 

:detective:

morganchampagne Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 4:40pm
post #24 of 34

A

Original message sent by LizzieAylett

I also am a bit confused at the use of marshmellow.  Is that actually an Americanisation of marshmallow, or are people mucking it up unknowingly?

That's a definite misspelling lol. It's definitely Marshmallow!! I guess people are spelling how it sounds?

AZCouture Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 4:55pm
post #25 of 34

Do NOT harsh my mellow man.... :lol:

milkmaid42 Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 4:57pm
post #26 of 34

I'm still chucking over lalyalawaylalayla's pun on moot VS mute:

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaylawaylalayla 

I never knew that people didn't pronounce the v. I guess on the internet that point is mute. ( haha I kill me)

 No, I won't kill you. I have a low threshold of humor and appreciate puns. :wink:

 

Jan

kaylawaylalayla Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 5:24pm
post #27 of 34

AMe too :p. The puns, they always get me.

JWinslow Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 5:26pm
post #28 of 34

The word Voila is actually pronounced;  VWA LA.  You sort of combine the V and W.    The punctuation mark over the a is called a grave accent.  I took French many, many years ago, but some details just stay with you.

emetz74 Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 7:50pm
post #29 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZCouture 
 

 

Yep, I know exactly how it is spelled and pronounced. I just couldn't make the little ' over the a. :D

 

I should have realized that with a fashionable name like yours, AZCouture! ;)

vgcea Posted 11 Sep 2013 , 7:19am
post #30 of 34

AHmph! Heads back to cover my cake with [I][U]ganush.[/U][/I]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%