Comments And Suggestions

Decorating By cakealicious7 Updated 4 Sep 2013 , 10:26am by cakealicious7

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 6:54pm
post #31 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakealicious7 

No im not veining them yet, just trying to master the basics yet lol! Btw you are soooo beautiful!! Just saw everybody's pics on the other thread WOW!!

You are too sweet - I just see an old lady who still feels pretty young.  I'm having a good time and you know what they say - You can't stop it - LOL

When you get to the veining stage, your eyes will pop. You will have to make sure to keep us updated :)

JWinslow Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 7:00pm
post #32 of 46

I just popped over to the "what does everybody look like" thread - You are beautiful!  When I was your age I had very long, very dark brown hair and wore it the same way you do.  :)

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 7:01pm
post #33 of 46

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakealicious7 
I loved the advice you guys gave that's why I went to practice straight away, without your help I don't think I would have achieved a better flower......

cakealicious7: Well Done.  the second (red) one is better.  (image #00000819)

All of the mediums (buttercream, royal icing, chocolate clay, fondant, half gumpaste-half fondant, & gumpaste)  can make a rose.

They don't all look the same, nor does anything except gumpaste look the most like a real life rose, but you know a representation of a rose when you see it.

Which is why 'ribbon' roses are so cool.  They are a representation of a rose. Your mind knows that it is not a daisy, carnation, or lilly.  It does not have to be a perfect copy of a real flower.

Same thing with fondant... if it is a balanced portrayal  I don't think that you need to spend an hour trying to make a fondant petal look like a gumpaste petal. 

manicgeisha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manicgeisha Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 7:21pm
post #34 of 46

Nicely put, MBalaska.   thumbs_up.gif

JWinslow Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 8:04pm
post #35 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBalaska 

Quote:

cakealicious7: Well Done.  the second (red) one is better.  (image #00000819)

All of the mediums (buttercream, royal icing, chocolate clay, fondant, half gumpaste-half fondant, & gumpaste)  can make a rose.

They don't all look the same, nor does anything except gumpaste look the most like a real life rose, but you know a representation of a rose when you see it.

Which is why 'ribbon' roses are so cool.  They are a representation of a rose. Your mind knows that it is not a daisy, carnation, or lilly.  It does not have to be a perfect copy of a real flower.

Same thing with fondant... if it is a balanced portrayal  I don't think that you need to spend an hour trying to make a fondant petal look like a gumpaste petal. 

Although what you posted here is true - it also depends on what you are going for.  If realism is your goal then a representation may not be the route one needs to follow..  In my opinion, when somebody is trying to teach themselves, knowing how a flower is put together, the overlapping spirals, the curve of the petals etc. is more than just making a realistic flower.  You are training your eye to see things in a new way.  When one moves to the next type of flower you have already trained yourself to look at details you would not have before. 

You didn't really mean spending an hour on one petal, right?   LOL 

Jeanne

PS.  I do love ribbon roses - they are fun :)

cakealicious7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakealicious7 Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 8:11pm
post #36 of 46

A

Original message sent by JWinslow

I just popped over to the "what does everybody look like" thread - You are beautiful!  When I was your age I had very long, very dark brown hair and wore it the same way you do.  :)

Awww so sweet!!! Thankyou x

just4fun26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just4fun26 Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 8:17pm
post #37 of 46

AI am yet to make any flowers so take my critique with a grain of salt. I'm lucky enough to have a beautiful dozen roses right now so I grabbed my crutches and went to look at them, then looked at yours again.

It is definitely a rose. I had no question. The only thing I could say is you may want to make the petals thinner? That may come with practice, I'm not sure, as I said, I have not made any yet (next weeks project since I'm off work). Otherwise, I think it's great! Your skills are awesome and I can only imagine what your roses will look like after more practice.

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 8:35pm
post #38 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWinslow 

Although what you posted here is true - it also depends on what you are going for.  If realism is your goal then a representation may not be the route one needs to follow..  In my opinion, when somebody is trying to teach themselves, knowing how a flower is put together, the overlapping spirals, the curve of the petals etc. is more than just making a realistic flower.  You are training your eye to see things in a new way.  When one moves to the next type of flower you have already trained yourself to look at details you would not have before. 

You didn't really mean spending an hour on one petal, right?   LOL 

Jeanne

PS.  I do love ribbon roses - they are fun :)

I love your attention to details with your flowers - beautifully realistic, always.

Cakealicious7, one thing I would add, once you get your basic form for petals down, it really helped me to look at pictures of real flowers, not just gumpaste. It's the slight irregularites (the curving of some edges and not others) and the shading that make them realistic! Great job!!

cakealicious7 Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 8:40pm
post #39 of 46

AThankyou. I totally agree with you about the petals, I'm so desperate to make them look lifelike but I know that will come with practice, practice, practice :-D

JWinslow Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 8:42pm
post #40 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixinarow 

Cakealicious7, one thing I would add, once you get your basic form for petals down, it really helped me to look at pictures of real flowers, not just gumpaste. It's the slight irregularites (the curving of some edges and not others) and the shading that make them realistic! Great job!!

Excellent advice!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 9:37pm
post #41 of 46

Quote:

Originally Posted by just4fun26 
......... I'm lucky enough to have a beautiful dozen roses right now so I grabbed my crutches and went to look at them, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

just4fun26:  me too...... I have a dozen roses on the table, red & white. These threads got me thinking about the prospect of learning to make gumpaste roses SO.....

I've been taking photos of the roses from the day I received them until now. Sometimes two photo sets in a day, as they change fast.  Took photos of the tops, sides, bottom, stems, leaf sets, and like a cruel child I tore a couple of petals off to photo them also.  A couple of the roses had double (twin) cores! 

There is nothing perfect about a flower, so perfection & exact copies in handmade roses is unrealistic, literally. these real rose photos have varied petals, they are almost messy.

JWinslow Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 10:22pm
post #42 of 46

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 

Quote:

just4fun26:  me too...... I have a dozen roses on the table, red & white. These threads got me thinking about the prospect of learning to make gumpaste roses SO.....

I've been taking photos of the roses from the day I received them until now. Sometimes two photo sets in a day, as they change fast.  Took photos of the tops, sides, bottom, stems, leaf sets, and like a cruel child I tore a couple of petals off to photo them also.  A couple of the roses had double (twin) cores! 

There is nothing perfect about a flower, so perfection & exact copies in handmade roses is unrealistic, literally. these real rose photos have varied petals, they are almost messy.

Flowers are really amazing!  Full of surprises :)

just4fun26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just4fun26 Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 10:51pm
post #43 of 46

A

Original message sent by JWinslow

I've been making roses for a few years now, so I worked my way to  at least 7 and sometimes 8 on the pasta machine.   When I hold up a single petal, I look to see how much light is coming through. 

This is the book I used:

[URL=http://www.amazon.com/dp/1847731228/?tag=cakecentral-20+dunn+books[/URL]

I still refer back to it :)

Jeanne

I just ordered this book, I'm really excited about it.

JWinslow Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 10:54pm
post #44 of 46

Quote:

Originally Posted by just4fun26 

I just ordered this book, I'm really excited about it.

Good for you!  I hope it will be as valuable a resource to you as it has been for me :)

Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 12:38am
post #45 of 46

I definitely see an improvement 

I have a couple of other tutorials you may want to take a look at. I like to get different ideas from each one.

http://cakestyle.tv/products/simple-rose/

http://www.designmeacake.com/tutorials.html

I have also found it very helpful to google an image of a rose.  Of course you will see quite a few different varieties.  I simply pick one that I would like my final product to look like.  I really find this helpful.  It also helps me to see where I have to dust.

cakealicious7 Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 10:26am
post #46 of 46

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%