Wedding Cake Delivery Disaster

Decorating By amyssweettopia Updated 23 Jun 2015 , 11:20am by nancylee61

eaamckenzie14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eaamckenzie14 Posted 4 Jun 2015 , 8:35pm
post #61 of 73

That was a valiant effort on your part, looks like your cake wasn't sturdy enough.. I didn't read your whole story but did you put dowels in the cake? Also maybe your actual cake recipe was too soft. I use thicker more dense cakes when doing wedding cakes, also the fondant has to be kneaded very well and well "hydrated" but not sticky. Too much cornstarch Or powder sugar can cause the fondant to crack. 

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 4 Jun 2015 , 8:40pm
post #62 of 73

Ya'll do realize this thread is almost 2 years old, right?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Jun 2015 , 8:46pm
post #63 of 73

and looks like it got shut down by a mod but all the locks got unlocked in the big metamorphosis

MinaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MinaBakes Posted 4 Jun 2015 , 9:19pm
post #64 of 73

Quote by @-K8memphis on 30 minutes ago

and looks like it got shut down by a mod but all the locks got unlocked in the big metamorphosis

LOL

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 4 Jun 2015 , 10:41pm
post #65 of 73

And KayEhm, is deliberately posting to all old threads concerning cake support disasters so she can link to her business.

eaamckenzie14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eaamckenzie14 Posted 4 Jun 2015 , 11:03pm
post #66 of 73

No I didn't realize it I just logged in and that was the first post I made...Im still learning this website. Lol is it that serious tho ;-)

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 4 Jun 2015 , 11:16pm
post #67 of 73

Eammckenzie14, welcome to the site.

You can post on any thread you wish regardless of age of thread.  This thread had been closed at a point in time because it had run its course. It looks like closed threads were reopened with the new system. 

A new member has pulled up several old threads regarding cake disasters linked to support issues.  She is using the site to link to her business. That is not allowed.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 5 Jun 2015 , 4:35pm
post #68 of 73

Your cake was lovely, but -I'm sorry, wedding cake or not, cat on kitchen counter is very unsanitary anytime - period. Cats use  litter boxes, counters get touched by everyone's hands and those hands touch food, eyes, mouths, etc. Once I see a cat on a food surface like a counter or dining table, I never go back, nor do I ever eat anything that person prepares - think pot lucks.

gscout73 Posted 5 Jun 2015 , 4:36pm
post #69 of 73

Funny - I was taken also... give me a pointy hat and put me on a stool in the corner.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Jun 2015 , 5:38pm
post #70 of 73

op conceded the cat issue two years ago in post 14 - she conceded everything - my suggestion is let it r.I.p.

Quote by @amyssweettopia on 2 Sep 2013 , 2:44am

ASo I agree a cat on the counter in hygienic, and it really just down came to bad timing since I agreed to cat sit for my aunt... Needless to say I am now mortified and wish I could just delete this whole thread or at least the picture but I can't...

I apologize to everyone I have offended and have certainly learned a lot.

The cat will never be an issue again as that is definitely the last time I pet sit...

Shelly42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly42 Posted 15 Jun 2015 , 6:32pm
post #71 of 73

According to your FB page you got past the ''wedding cake'' ''cat'' disaster..congrats

gscout73 Posted 21 Jun 2015 , 11:59pm
post #72 of 73

I admit I did not look at the date before I replied. I will not make THAT mistake again.

nancylee61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancylee61 Posted 23 Jun 2015 , 11:20am
post #73 of 73

I have done several wedding cakes even though I am newer. People are going to beat you up over this. Be careful what you post. I learned the hard way.

Having said that, yes, your fondant isn't smooth. I switched to Satin Ice, it's much easier to work with. And the cat can't be in the room. Fearing a cake falling, I put one wedding cake together at the venue, and I still think that's the safest way to go, but I also found out about the stacking system they sell at Global Sugar Art, and I would NEVER do a big cake again without it!! It's called the SPS system. I am working at a bakery with a cake decorator now, and we delivered a four tier cake the other day - and my heart was in my throat the whole time!! The cake wobbled all the way there!! It was fine, it was nice and cold, the AC was cranked in the car, but still...I would use the stacking system. 

And lastly, some of the professionals responding here charge $8 and up per serving for a cake - and while their work is definitely worth it, many people can't afford that. I'm sorry, if a bride wants to spend $300 on a four tier cake, she's not going to get a professional cake. Maybe from Price Chopper, but it will taste like crap. Keep improving your skills, as I am, get licensed, and then you can charge what your skills are worth.

Best,

Nancy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%