American White Cake?

Baking By AmeliesKItchen Updated 1 Sep 2013 , 7:58pm by MBalaska

AmeliesKItchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmeliesKItchen Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 9:53am
post #1 of 7

Hello!

I'm based in the UK and I have had an enquiry from an American bride to be who is marrying an English guy here in Suffolk next year. She's coming here for Christmas and wants to meet to chat about her wedding cake. She has asked whether I make American white cake, I have heard of it but have never ever made it myself and was just wondering if any of you would be willing to share a recipe or  give me any hints or tips, for example, is it suitable for tiered, fondant iced cakes? 

Thank you!

Helen x

6 replies
Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 11:08am
post #2 of 7

AThis is a recipe from another CakeCentral member that I like http://fromscratchsf.wordpress.com/2011/07/26/white-cake-part-3-with-recipe/

http://iambaker.net/the-perfect-white-cake/

What do you typically use a mudcake or fruitcake?

AmeliesKItchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmeliesKItchen Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 11:50am
post #3 of 7

Thank you! Smckinney07, I have a range of cakes and do make mud cakes and fruit cakes but the most popular here is the Victoria sponge which I think is possibly the closest to white cake, it's just a sugar, butter, flour and egg mixture.

RoxieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RoxieCakes Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 4:17pm
post #4 of 7

Helen - I am from the US and have never heard of "American White Cake" either, but what I commonly hear is that British use fruit cake for their wedding cakes.  And while I have no doubt that yours are awesome, ours are not very popular and are the brunt of many jokes (like how the fruit cake given to Aunt Sally for Christmans just keeps circulating year after year because nobody will eat it).  My family loves fruit cake  but many do not, so maybe that's why your  bride is asking.  Maybe you could let her taste what you normally would use; she might love it because chances are it's not the US fruit cake that she's invisioning.  But any white cake recipe you'll find here on Cake Central should work just fine.  Just make sure to read the comments to make sure you find one that is described as both moist and firm; most comments will tell you if the cake is suitable for carving, stacking, etc.  And if you can't find particular ingredients listed, holler back at your CC community and let us help you figure out substitutes, etc.  I would say that the most popular white cake here on CC is the WASC - White Almond Sour Cream.  It's moist, firm enough to carve or stack, and a huge favorite.  You'll find many recipes for it both from scratch and from using a cake mix as a starter.  Good luck and have fun!!

RoxieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RoxieCakes Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 4:28pm
post #5 of 7

PS:  My first name is Amelie, named after my maternal grandmother.  Our shared name is exceedingly rare in the US; it is more popular in the UK?  At any rate, nice to meet you!!

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 7:49pm
post #6 of 7

AI would let her sample your Spongecake and/or a WhiteChoc mudcake (Mudcakes are becoming popular at least where I live, I make them often). Spongecakes are wonderful too, your specialty cakes would probably be very appealing.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 7:58pm
post #7 of 7

Ameliekitchen: In all of my  old American cookbooks the 'white' cake was made with:

-  solid white hydrogenated shortening such as our 'Crisco' brand.  They did not use butter.  The butter gives it a yellow color tint.  the solid white shortening keep the cake batter pure white.

- The 'white' cake also uses only Egg Whites, and does not use any egg yolks.  Again that is to prevent the yellow color tint.

Your sponge will probably not be what she is asking you to make. No worries.....there are several white cake recipes here on cc.com that are great.  Here is one more.......

http://cakecentral.com/a/a-better-white-scratch-cake

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%