White Chocolate Ganache/buttercream Icing

Decorating By hbloomcamp Updated 1 Sep 2013 , 4:41pm by hbloomcamp

hbloomcamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbloomcamp Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 12:37am
post #1 of 4

I'm going to ice a cake with white chocolate ganache/buttercream (1:1 ratio) this weekend.  My question is when should I mix the two?  Does it matter?  I have the buttercream done, but should I wait until right before icing the cake to make the ganache and mix with the buttercream?

Also, I used a crusting buttercream recipe, but when mixed with ganache, does anyone know if it will still crust?

Thanks!

3 replies
Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 4:15am
post #2 of 4

AI would just add melted chocolate to your BC. Melt the Choc and let it cool slightly before adding to your BC and yes, your BC will still crust.

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 4:25am
post #3 of 4

AWhat makes your buttercream crust is the ratio of sugar to fat. Here's a link that I found I guess people are mixing ganache with BC, I don't see the point personally but I've never tried it.

http://cakecentral.com/t/754600/buttercream-mixed-with-white-chocolate-ganache

hbloomcamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbloomcamp Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 4:41pm
post #4 of 4

I did a test batch last night and it does crust. It took a bit longer, but seemed like it will work on a bigger cake.  My point in doing it is for a different flavor for my buttercream, and a bit different texture. All family members preferred the bc/ganache mixed icing last night during the taste test, so that's what I'll go with.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%