Wrong Date!!!

Decorating By dukeswalker Updated 2 Sep 2013 , 3:07pm by howsweet

dukeswalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dukeswalker Posted 31 Aug 2013 , 9:20pm
post #1 of 15

ACK!!!!  No contract (don't kick me....I know - in fact two days ago I had just discussed with hubby had this costumer and I had fallen into a "no contract" cake relationship that was making me nervous).  Anyway fab cake (i thought!!) & 2 dozen cupcakes were due tomorrow but get I call today, 30 minutes before cake is due that the party is TODAY!!  We had both messed up.  In my email confirming delivery date I stated date and said "see you sunday" - she missed it.  Both our bads, right??

Anyway - went all "cupcake wars round 3" on the cake and got it out the door 20 minutes late to the party.  The cupcakes will be following very shortly.  

What do I offer as compensation??

14 replies
knlcox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knlcox Posted 31 Aug 2013 , 9:26pm
post #2 of 15

Why compensation?? You stuck to your side and made the cake and cupcakes as ordered.  Right? Or did you have to change the design to allow for time?? You were 20 minutes late and that's ok. Most people don't ever cut a cake the moment a party starts.  

dukeswalker Posted 31 Aug 2013 , 9:28pm
post #3 of 15

The cake made it there, as designed (although without the extra once over with an eye for detail) 20 minutes late and the cupcakes are cooling (PLEASE COOL FASTER) in the freezer right now.  She is a party planner/website owner and I want to keep this relationship and keep the recommendations she sends my way.  I. feel. like. mud.

dukeswalker Posted 31 Aug 2013 , 9:30pm
post #4 of 15

Ugh...looking back at our emails (all is done via email) I asked "What time would you like it delivered on Sunday?", said "See you Sunday" threeeeee times!!!!  GAH!!!!!

knlcox Posted 31 Aug 2013 , 9:31pm
post #5 of 15

Don't feel bad! It happens and at least you are able to get the cake/cupcakes there TODAY! I don't know that I would offer a refund, DON'T let that idea get into your head because you made them and they will be there.  Maybe a % off of another order or something? 

knlcox Posted 31 Aug 2013 , 9:33pm
post #6 of 15

I don't know, it's a tough situation.  It was her bad, actually, for not knowing the exact date of her own party.  She should have read the email and saw that you had written SAT.  It's on her. 

knlcox Posted 31 Aug 2013 , 9:33pm
post #7 of 15

SORRY, You had written SUN.

knlcox Posted 31 Aug 2013 , 9:34pm
post #8 of 15

See? Now I'm all confused with this order and it's not even mine. lol

dukeswalker Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 12:40am
post #9 of 15

AShockingly, aside from the humidity and heat - the cake and cupcakes came out sooo perfect! She was totally understanding of the miscommunication and I told her that I would take off some $ on the next order - now I just need to decide how much to take off. After reading through all the emails I must have said, "Sunday" 5-6 times And she never corrected me. *sigh*

I was in such a rush that I didn't take a single Photo! But - in the span of 1hr I took plain, fondant 6" & 8" cakes and tiered them, decorated them, airbrushed them, placed flowers & turbinado sugar sand PLUS I baked & decorated 24 cupcakes with buttercream, flowers & sand AND delivered them.

knlcox Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 12:44am
post #10 of 15

AWow!! Isn't it amazing what can be accomplished at the last minute? Good for you!!

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 1:38am
post #11 of 15

I'd offer maybe 10% at the most.  If you REPEATEDLY wrote Sunday in your emails and she didn't catch it, then she is just as responsible as you are IMO

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 3:19am
post #12 of 15

AObviously you know the contract is necessary, you won't make that mistake again ;) You busted out the order quickly rather then freaking out, and she didn't seem to mind. I would offer a small discount towards her next order, she's sending you business, and she sounds like a good customer, she was cool about the mixup those are the type of people you want to go the extra mile for. 10% or $10 (I don't know how much her orders usually are) or throw in 6 extra cupcakes with her next order, whatever your comfortable with.

dukeswalker Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 3:57am
post #13 of 15

AI went back and re-read the last week's emails... 3 times - "see you Sunday" 1 time - "what time Sunday would you like it delivered?" And on this morning's email confirming delivery and cake stand info - " see you tomorrow!"

I still feel badly though because, obviously, somewhere along the way I got my dates mixed up... I plan on offering 15% off - her orders are usually $200+.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 6:30am
post #14 of 15

I can't see giving her a penny back, since it was her bad, too. PLUS, you provided the cake as specified. Except you said you would, you sort of have to now, but she is witch for accepting it. MHO

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 2 Sep 2013 , 3:07pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeswalker 

Shockingly, aside from the humidity and heat - the cake and cupcakes came out sooo perfect! She was totally understanding of the miscommunication and I told her that I would take off some $ on the next order - now I just need to decide how much to take off. After reading through all the emails I must have said, "Sunday" 5-6 times
And she never corrected me. *sigh*

I was in such a rush that I didn't take a single Photo! But - in the span of 1hr I took plain, fondant 6" & 8" cakes and tiered them, decorated them, airbrushed them, placed flowers & turbinado sugar sand PLUS I baked & decorated 24 cupcakes with buttercream, flowers & sand AND delivered them.

Prepare to be walked all over if you're going to be blaming yourself for this kind of thing.   You confirmed and reconfirmed the date. That means it's no longer your fault. Next time at least once when confirming the date, state it in such a way that you're intent is clearly to confirm. As in, I have that your cake will be delivered this coming Sunday, Sept 1 between 10-11 am to 1234 Cherry Street, Your Town and zip code. A contract really isn't the issue in this case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

I can't see giving her a penny back, since it was her bad, too. PLUS, you provided the cake as specified. Except you said you would, you sort of have to now, but she is witch for accepting it. MHO

This

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%