Jewish Honey Cake

Baking By confectionaryperfection Updated 17 Jan 2014 , 5:05am by ReeseMO

confectionaryperfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionaryperfection Posted 31 Aug 2013 , 8:46pm
post #1 of 10

Hi Ladies!! and Gents!!  i need help...  I want to make a jewish honey cake for my Fiance for thursday... can someone tell me a recipe from a cake mix? 

9 replies
kaylawaylalayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylawaylalayla Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 8:12am
post #2 of 10

AOk so ive done a little searching on the internet. Someone suggested using a spice cake mix, but replace the oil with honey. I'm not sure how it will work out, but its worth a shot. Good luck.

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 8:20am
post #3 of 10

here's my recipe...  it's SO easy that, honestly, you don't need a box mix!  Give it a try!!!!

1lb tin golden syrup (or honey, I suppose, LOL!  But we've ALWAYS used golden syrup)

Cup of oil

Cup of sugar

1lb plain flour

2 eggs

2 tsp instant coffee

2 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp mixed spice

1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp bicarbonate of soda

Flaked almonds to decorate

Preheat oven to Gas Mark 3 ( that's 160°c or 325°f).  Line a tin (the tin I use is approx 10” x 8”) both lengthways and widthways with foil, allowing a large excess on each side.  Fold the excess foil under the tin.  You will use this to keep wrap the cake, once it is cooked and cooled.

Put the syrup into a large mixing bowl.  Put coffee into empty syrup tin and fill tin with hot water.  Stir well and pour into the bowl (tin will be hot!).  Add everything, except eggs, flour, baking powder and bicarb.  Mix with a wooden spoon – do not use an electric hand mixer at this point!  Add eggs, mix, then sift in the flour, baking powder and bicarb.  Mix again, (do not worry about the mixture being lumpy, at this point) then use an electric hand mixer to smooth the mixture and to get lots of air bubbles into the mixture.  Empty into the tin.  Sprinkle with flaked almonds.

Bake for 1½ hours, then check to see if it is done.

The cake will keep for a week, if well wrapped.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 12:04pm
post #4 of 10

For this recipe (bottom photo, round cakes in front; top photo, slice on left.) I started with my gingerbread recipe and subbed honey (instead of molasses) and coffee (instead of water). Recipe here.

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 12:55pm
post #5 of 10

AYES!!!! Almost Rosh Hashana. That means dinner at the rabbi's, and Mrs. Rabbi's most excellent honey cake!

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 4:56pm
post #6 of 10

I add a bit of ginger to mine - gives it that little extra kick!

Shana Tova (happy new year) to all.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 7:03pm
post #7 of 10

L'shanah tovah!!

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 7:14pm
post #8 of 10

AAh gut gebentched yohr.

Ketiva VeChatima Tova

kaylawaylalayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylawaylalayla Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 7:17pm
post #9 of 10

AL'shanah tovah!

ReeseMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReeseMO Posted 17 Jan 2014 , 5:05am
post #10 of 10

I found a great eggless honey cake recipe from the 19th century. It is so simple and turns out better than a mix. Recipe here. There is also a traditional early 20th century honey cake recipe with eggs that is wonderful as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%