Whipped Cream For Filling/frosting

Decorating By sadiep Updated 24 Sep 2013 , 2:36am by scrumdiddlycakes

sadiep Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadiep Posted 31 Aug 2013 , 5:56pm
post #1 of 24

Hi everyone - 

A friend/customer has asked me for a chocolate cake, but as it's summer, and for a harvest dinner, wants a light version, filled with fruit and whipped cream. I have stabilized whip for cupcakes, and for jelly-roll style cakes, but not for filling layers. Of the 3 methods I know, (cornstarch, gelatin, white chocolate), would anyone recommend one over the other for strength? This will not be a super-dense cake, but it will be heavier than a sponge, prob 4 layers cake, 3 filling. Should I just dam with ganache for support?

Also, if i frost the outside with the same whipped cream, will I be able to write on it with melted chocolate? I'd prefer the outside to look fluffy and like whipped cream, not hard and slightly lumpy/spongy like stabilized whip sometimes does. 

Thanks!

23 replies
cakesforlife101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesforlife101 Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 12:52am
post #2 of 24

AI would dam it with ganache. I reckon it would be great! :)

sadiep Posted 2 Sep 2013 , 9:41pm
post #3 of 24

Well since no one has answered me I'm guessing a) it's an obvious question that everyone already knows the answer to, or b) it's a difficult question that no one knows the answer to. hmmmm. I'm going to post my results in case anyone else ends up here looking for help.

I melted about 6 oz white chocolate into a pint of heavy cream and chilled overnight (i've done this before with white and dark - works great). Additionally, I made a batch of RoseLB's stabilized whip on 1 quart heavy cream (I've done this many times - works great). Whipped all together, added a little brandy. Tasted great, looked nice, soft, smooth, but did not achieve really stiff peaks! Dammed layers with lightly whipped ganache, filled with fruit compote and cream, chilled each layer as it was filled to allow to firm a bit. Stacked 4 layers, held up ok. By the time I went to frost the outside, tho, the cream was very soft. Rewhipped but didn't get very stiff. Could not overwhip if I tried. Covered, froze for an hour. Had no trouble writing on top with liquid ganache. 

When I delivered cake (to my friend, luckily), it was lovely, but I knew, and it was confirmed by her later, that 2 hours out of the fridge would result in soft, slippy cream, and possibly even sliding layers. While not a disaster, definitely not acceptable for a real client. 

PLEASE - if anyone knows how to fill with whip better than this, let me know. Please do not mention Rich's or similar! That stuff is vile and not fit for consumption. (Unless you keep kosher and then it is perfectly acceptable.)

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 2 Sep 2013 , 10:14pm
post #4 of 24

I use real whipped cream and I don't stabilize it unless it's going to sit for multiple days after I've made it. I didn't see your question and I bet others didn't either.....that's why no one responded.

LipstickBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LipstickBaker Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 1:59pm
post #5 of 24

Athis is so up my alley and i only wish i joined cake central to tell you this amazing trick!

I have been using this stable whip cream/mousse recipe a lot since it holds it shape, light, full of flavour and versatile! 

[B]Sturdy Mousse Filling[/B] 2 cups Whipping Cream 1box instant pudding (any flavour!)

no im not missing any ingredients! Its that simple!

im not kidding when i say sturdy! This is a cake i did with it! 

[URL=http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3090223/]rosette cake! [/URL]

hope you enjoy this recipe as much as i do! Remember the cake needs to be refrigerated!

LipstickBaker Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 2:02pm
post #6 of 24

also remember to brush a layer of candy coating on the bottom of each layer so the cake does not get soggy from the creme and fruit! 

i really do wish i joined sooner! I cant believe nobody helped you!

sadiep Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 12:35pm
post #7 of 24

Stitches - thanks - I can't believe unadulterated whip will hold up layers! And on the outside too? I'll def give straight up cream a go next time I have a family cake.

Lipstick - very clever! I'll try your method next time I get a client cake that HAS to make it. 

everyone else - pay attention to those two. Not me!

SISA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SISA Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 12:54pm
post #8 of 24

I am going to try this mousse filling.  It sounds too easy and too good to be true..lol  One question I do have.  Is this just the small box of pudding (I think 3.5 oz).  If you already said sorry I didn't see it.  Thank You!

LipstickBaker Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 3:07pm
post #9 of 24

A@sisa I'm pretty sure! The great thing about this recipe is you can not mess it up! If the filling seems soupy, just add more pudding mix! (Also try adding some peanut butter to the chocolate mousse, it's heaven,)

Whip the cream until it thickens, then add the pudding mix gradually, (medium to high speed)

Stitches Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 3:11pm
post #10 of 24

Instant pudding and heavy cream does not make "mousse", nor is it a way to stabilize whip cream. It's a different item all together.

kaylawaylalayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylawaylalayla Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 3:41pm
post #11 of 24

AIf you can try to look for a higher percentage of fat in your heavy cream. I think some organic brands carry the higher fat content. That will give you a more stable whip cream.

LipstickBaker Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 7:43pm
post #12 of 24

@stiches

with all do respect, what do you know about the product if you have not yourself tried it. It is very much a mousse consistency and all my customers love it. Rude.

LipstickBaker Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 7:47pm
post #13 of 24

and it very much stabilizes it, thank you very much.

kaylawaylalayla Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 7:49pm
post #14 of 24

AIts not really rude. Its just not mousse. She never said or implied that it was not good, just that it is not whipped cream or mousse. Which logically speaking seems pretty accurate.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 8:03pm
post #15 of 24

Quote:

Originally Posted by LipstickBaker 

also remember to brush a layer of candy coating on the bottom of each layer so the cake does not get soggy from the creme and fruit! 

i really do wish i joined sooner! I cant believe nobody helped you!

The time when she asked is when most of us cake decorators are at our busiest. Unless I get a notification on my phone, I barely even glance at CC for the most part on Fridays and Saturdays.

We aren't a bunch of whipped cream haters, purposely ignoring her questions, lol.

Like stitches, I just use regular whip, but I do use 40% like Kayla was saying, the higher fat gives you a sturdier and richer cream.

LipstickBaker Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 8:17pm
post #16 of 24

mousse (French 'foam' /ˈms/) is a prepared food that incorporates air bubbles to give it a light and airy texture. It can range from light and fluffy to creamy and thick, depending on preparation techniques.[1] A mousse may be sweet or savory.[1] Dessert mousses are typically made with whipped egg whites or whipped cream, and generally flavored with chocolate or puréed fruit.[1]

Im just going to leave you with that ladies. I don't know what you achieved by ganging up on someones opinion, but i hope you did achieve something. Have a great day! 

sadiep Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 8:19pm
post #17 of 24

AI was not surprised or offended at the lack of response at all - I know everyone's busy on the weekend! Just so happened that's when I needed the info : )

Thanks everyone for the input. Plain cream would always be my preference, if it works, but I'm happy to consider all options that have a successful track record.

kaylawaylalayla Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 9:10pm
post #18 of 24

A

Original message sent by LipstickBaker

A [B]mousse[/B] (French 'foam' / ˈ m s / ) is a prepared food that incorporates air bubbles to give it a light and airy texture. It can range from light and fluffy to creamy and thick, depending on preparation techniques.[SUP][1] [/SUP] A mousse may be sweet or savory.[SUP][1] [/SUP] Dessert mousses are typically made with whipped egg whites  or whipped cream , and generally flavored with chocolate or puréed fruit.[SUP][1] [/SUP]

[SUP]Im just going to leave you with that ladies. I don't know what you achieved by ganging up on someones opinion, but i hope you did achieve something. Have a great day! [/SUP]

you must be having a bad day or a rough time. I'm here to tell you that it's alright. no one is insulting your icing. I'm sure its lovely, I might even try it myself. (When I can scrape together the pennies to pick up some heavy cream). Anyways, I know you're feeling all "come at me bro", but you should try to calm down and realize that its not a big deal, no one is against you.

alfwhoa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alfwhoa Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 2:32pm
post #19 of 24

To Lipstickbaker, I tried your filling and it was delicious. I used it to decorate the cake as well and everyone loved it. Of course mine didn't come out as pretty as yours but the taste was so good. :-)

LipstickBaker Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 2:46pm
post #20 of 24

@alfwhoa

thats amazing! Can i help you achieve it to be perfect!? Wait till the whip cream thicken till 3/4 of the way, and start adding the instant pudding gradually. Add more or less depending on the thickness!

Stitches Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 2:01am
post #21 of 24
Quote:
but you should try to calm down and realize that its not a big deal, no one is against you.

I was trying to be helpful and educating when I posted my previous responses. Lipstickbaker did not invent combining heavy cream and instant pudding, but if she thinks she's discovered a new thing I'd like to mention that I and hundreds of thousands of people were adding instant pudding to heavy cream back in the early 1980's to stabilize it. No big deal, nothing great tasting either....but it does work. I've successfully added the pudding in the beginning to dissolve it in the heavy cream thousands of times, works great. I also have added it later when whipping, thousands of times, works the same as when it's dissolved early.

Either way instant pudding's flavor is not natural tasting, it's very artificial tasting. If you've ever made and or tasted a lot of different mousses you'll notice that the consistency and taste is very different than the combo of instant pudding and heavy cream. Those are facts not fiction based on extensive knowledge and experience.

The OP asked about stabilizing whipped cream, they did not ask how to make mousse or fake mousse.

LipstickBaker Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 2:05am
post #22 of 24

You're a *****, all i have to say. 

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 2:20am
post #23 of 24

Don't people have manners anymore???  The only person that has been rude in this thread is LipstickBaker.  It would be nice if you could apologize to Stitches, because I'm pretty sure she has been doing this a lot longer than you, and her experience deserves a little respect.

Liz

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 2:36am
post #24 of 24

Quote:

Originally Posted by LipstickBaker 

You're a *****, all i have to say. 

Actually, Stitches has proven to be a very helpful, knowledgeable professional, who know's what she is talking about.

Some people love things like instant pudding, some people don't. This is a public forum, where people are allowed to voice their personal opinions and preferences, but not when it comes to calling people crude or defamatory names.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%