Need Creative Help

Decorating By tamara10 Updated 1 Sep 2013 , 7:18pm by Smckinney07

tamara10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamara10 Posted 31 Aug 2013 , 1:41pm
post #1 of 7

Hello;

I need some help with writing on a cake, i am making a round cake 14', its gonna have baby booties on top and has different colour ribbons along the cake, all fondant. my customer has asked for a message of about 10 words, I wouldn't like to put it on top because in my opinion it might look too busy, on the board i don't like the idea, i think its too long. i was thinking on adding a board. Im pretty new to making cakes for others so I feel very hesitant as of what could i add that would go well with the theme. could someone give me some suggestions please.

greatly appreciated.

6 replies
kaylawaylalayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylawaylalayla Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 7:51am
post #2 of 7

AAre you asking for ideas with a message, or ideas on how to place the message?

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 11:32am
post #3 of 7

AI'm confused as well. You said you need advice about writing... I'm not sure how big your booties are or how long the saying is. If your nervous about piping on the cake, just trace your cake pan on parchment or wax paper and mess with the placement there. You can let your piping harden on the parchment then move it to the cake.

I've had sayings piped on my board, fondant letters hardened with toothpicks inside and glued them standing up to my fondant covered board, laid flat. You can break the words up, for example: Happy Birthday (on top) Sweet 16 (on side of the cake, fondant plaque) Name (on board). A 14" round shouldn't look too cluttered if the booties aren't huge.

You can do whatever you want really, you can just use a larger baseboard if your worried about room. Hope some of this babbling has helped.

tamara10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamara10 Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 3:49pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks to both for replying and I am sorry I wasn't very clear, what I need is some ideas on how to place the message, My friend (the person who ordered the cake) has given me a small poem, four verses long, the shoes I am making them 3 inches long and about 2 inches wide. What I had in mind was to add a fondant board or banner, or something to write on and that place on top of the cake, but i cant think of something that would look nice, I hope you understand what I am saying, I was looking for suggestion on what figure or shape to add to this cake, where I could write the poem and it will still look pretty.

Thanks

kaylawaylalayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylawaylalayla Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 4:01pm
post #5 of 7

AIf you google bootie cake with plaque a couple different ideas come up maybe they could help you. I was just goimg to link to a pic but I'm not sure which one would help you the most

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 4:15pm
post #6 of 7

What about having the saying printed in a pretty font on wafer paper and using on top of a fondant strip as ribbon around the cake?  If the the saying is not long enough, shrink the font and repeat the saying.  You will need to know the circumference of the cake .

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 7:18pm
post #7 of 7

A

Original message sent by JWinslow

What about having the saying printed in a pretty font on wafer paper and using on top of a fondant strip as ribbon around the cake?  If the the saying is not long enough, shrink the font and repeat the saying.  You will need to know the circumference of the cake .

That would look really nice, what a clever idea. Especially since there are so many words. If you don't want to wrap it around you could put each verse on a separate ribbon but I simply love the idea of using a nice font on wafer paper-simple yet elegant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%