Friday Night Cake Club 8/30/13

Decorating By catlharper Updated 5 Sep 2013 , 8:59pm by auntginn

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 31 Aug 2013 , 12:33am
post #1 of 62

Opening up another session of the FNCC! Everyone is welcome to come talk about their week, share photos of their work, ask for help or provide help if you can! Hope to see lots of photos tonight!

Cat

61 replies
catlharper Posted 31 Aug 2013 , 12:39am
post #2 of 62

Hi everyone! I'm headed out of town again so I'm starting up the session early tonight! Sunday is the party for our grand daughter who turned 4 on the 14th. Scheduling issues with her father made it so we had to move her party. The theme is hot pink and zebra striped Barbie. Yup...shaking my head at it too<G>. Obviously we are "working" the party too so I hope to share with you full set up photos but here is the cake!

The front ^^ of Barbie including gift.

The back ^^ including corset back.

She is taller than I thought she'd be because she is ballet Barbie and is standing on her toes! LOL! I had not accounted for that when I baked the cake so I had to think fast today while decorating her! LOL!

Anyways...just wanted to share Jilly's cake. As I said, I'm hoping for party pics but with driving her 200 miles there is never a guarantee that everything will still look the way it does right now.

I'll check in after we get there!

Cat

smittyditty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smittyditty Posted 31 Aug 2013 , 12:55am
post #3 of 62

Very cute! My friends mom always made those and I was always envious! She will love it and so will all her friends.

I don't have any cakes this week but wish I did.

RuthiePearl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RuthiePearl Posted 31 Aug 2013 , 1:19am
post #4 of 62

AI Made This Cake For My cousin's Surprise Birthday Party. This Cake Had Very Many "1St" For Me. FIrst Time I Made A Stacked Tiered Cake (Properly), First Time I Torted A Cake, First Time I Made SMBC, First Time Using Ganache Under My Fondant, First Time Touching Gumpaste, First Time Doing Flowers,And First Time Doing Gelatin Butterflies. [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3090362/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

My Goal Is To Open My own Bakery in Three Years. By Then My Youngest Will Be In School. I Already Have The Business Degree, Now To JustDo My Research And Get All The Legal Stuff Figured Out. And Of Course, Practice, Practice, And Practice! It's A Good Thing My Hubby And I Both Come From huge families! Sorry, I Don't Know Why My Phone Capitalizes All The Words?!?

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 31 Aug 2013 , 1:30am
post #5 of 62

RuthiePearl, you are so talented.  That cake is amazing.  Cat, your granddaughter is on lucky little girl!  I know my mother's favorite thing in life is being a grandmother.

I am working on a simple purple ombre rosette cake.  I got a last minute order from a good customer who is also my friend.  It has strawberry buttercream in it, so I am going to be gaining some weight this weekend  I love strawberry buttercream!

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 31 Aug 2013 , 1:38am
post #6 of 62

ACat, that is adorable! Best Barbie cake ever! Can't wait to see the full set up.

Ruthie, very nice. Where were you in my 40th?!

catlharper Posted 31 Aug 2013 , 1:45am
post #7 of 62

Thanks for the compliments..when your Nana is a cake designer you know you will be getting great cakes every birthday! LOL!

Ruthie! Totally adorable! I love the whole set up and adore the butterflies! I have never done half of those things so I am in awe that you did them for the first time and came up with something SO gorgeous! And your phone is hysterical! I wonder how it decides which words to capitalize and which ones to leave lowercase! LOL!

We are about ready to take off so I'll catch you guys in a few hours!

Cat

smittyditty Posted 31 Aug 2013 , 1:56am
post #8 of 62

ABeautiful cake ruthiepearl especially for all those firsts.

justdesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justdesserts Posted 31 Aug 2013 , 2:40am
post #9 of 62

Today I was working on a cake for my nephew who is coming to visit tomorrow - he's 4 and loves Thomas the Train. So I decided to make him a Thomas cake and try molding RKT for the first time and work with fondant some more. I'm not totally pleased with how it turned out, but I'm sure a 4 year old won't care. Not going to post a picture though....don't want to violate any copyrights. ;)

Brettley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brettley Posted 31 Aug 2013 , 4:19am
post #10 of 62

Hello everyone!!

It's been awhile since I have posted, things just got a little nutso around here! I have been watching the forum every week though and everything looks great! Cat, what a lucky little girl! And Ruthie, for a lot of firsts it sure looks spectacular! I love the Ombre:) My favorite style I think. I would ombre everything if I could, my hair is even ombre, haha!

This week is a slower week than it has been, My husband and I just had our 3 year anniversary:) And we will be going away for 2 nights to a nice hotel in Winnipeg, MB. The big city for us country folks, lol I do have 2 weddings and a birthday cake to deliver tomorrow before we head out. 200 rustic cupcakes with a rustic cake to match. The rustic cupcakes had knifed on frosting with twine bows and some small flowers. The bows were a PITA and I will be charging way morenext time. They took a heck of a lot longer than I had expected.

Baby shower cupcake: These went out this morning.

And a wedding cake! The road I will be delivering on is like 2 hours worth of bumps and more bumps and stops and more bumps So I will just put it together tomorrow. It will look better stacked I promise:)

And I have a minnie mouse/zebra print cake that I am just finishing now. Will post pics after. Here is the Tiara for it though. Actually made this in 20 min! New record for me. I finally splurged and bought an extruder. Seriously, not really sure how I lived without the darn thing. Saves sooo much time!

catlharper Posted 31 Aug 2013 , 5:06am
post #11 of 62

Just Desserts...don't worry about posting copyright work when you are not selling the item. It is only if you sell the item that you violate copyright law.

Brettley! SO cute! LOVE the animal cupcakes and the wedding cake is just lovely! If you get a photo of it all stacked please do share?

Well, the Barbie cake made it safely to San Jose so we are pretty happy! 

Cat

manicgeisha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manicgeisha Posted 31 Aug 2013 , 5:38am
post #12 of 62

Going to be a late one for me...I haven`t even started assembling a cake I need to finish by tomorrow morning.   AGH!   Good thing I`m a night owl :)

Uhm, here is my red headed mermaid...reading all that TM stuff, next time I`ll change it up...or at least I personally wouldn`t recognize this character with different colour and style of hair :)

catlharper Posted 31 Aug 2013 , 5:51am
post #13 of 62

I love your mermaid...but then I am a fan of "mermaids" ;)

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 31 Aug 2013 , 7:13am
post #14 of 62

Hello All, I don't have a single cake order or even lollipop order this weekend.  But that is usual for me on this holiday.  Its my sister's birthday on Monday so I'm going to make something for her.

Cat.. the Barbie Cake.  Ooh, I haven't see one in years.  Brings back memories and yes when our babies have birthdays they know their cake is going to out Wow all the others.  My girls used to brag to all their friends. lol

RuthiePearl.. just gorgeous cake.  Congrats on all those accomplishments.

Brettly,  Congratulations on your anniversary, I hope your not to tired to enjoy it after all that work.  Love the tiara, cupcakes and the flowers on the cake.

manicgiesha, what a cute mermaid.

I did play around for no reason at all with a couple of things.  Was trying out a tutorial I found for Lalaloopsy here is my pic of her.  I need to put sleeves on her.

Then I ordered the Wilton mini Sports Ball pan and this is what I made with them.

And this one.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 31 Aug 2013 , 8:10am
post #15 of 62

AWell, I am offended and annoyed, so I am leaving. But first, I'll hang out and watch people ask why and beg me to stay. Then I'll leave. ;-)

AZCouture Posted 31 Aug 2013 , 8:11am
post #16 of 62

AAdorable mermaid!

manicgeisha Posted 31 Aug 2013 , 8:27am
post #17 of 62

Thanks :)   She turned out really well...considering I didn`t have much patience for dealing with gumpaste.

I managed to get off my butt and throw that cake together.  Its coated in condensation, WAH!   My last cake a couple of weeks ago did the same thing.   This one I took the time to muck around with an ombre effect...its not looking so ombre now.   Its super humid where I live but usually in summer i don`t have to bother to run a dehumidifier, I guess I do now.   Here's hoping I wake up to find a cake and not a teal puddle of goo.   Sounds appetizing doesn`t it?

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 31 Aug 2013 , 9:27am
post #18 of 62

Ruthiepearl, I just love how ambitious you've been!  It's worked so well.  A gorgeous cake.

I'm currently working on a cake for tomorrow for a friend's 80th birthday.  It is a surprise cake as she is probably the most humble person you could meet and would have refused if she's been told :-)

I'm trying out sugar roses for the first time, but I'm having a lot of problems with them falling off the wire with the weight of the additional petals.  I made the centres by bending over a bit of wire, dipping it in egg whites and then pushing that into a teardrop of fondant, then sort of twisting the bottom bit round the wire and smoothing it down.  I did them on Sunday night, but they are just straight fondant as I don't have gumpaste/tylose powder.  Is that the problem?

I'm also doing my first three tier cake (just small - an 8/6/4) so I hope that will work out.  I'm using ganache instead of buttercream for a trial, and so far really love it.

I'll post pictures when I'm done, but I'm really pleased as I don't often get the chance to do more old-fashioned style cakes.

niniel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niniel1 Posted 31 Aug 2013 , 10:58am
post #19 of 62

I made this Adventure Time cake for my son's 5th birthday. I messed up pretty badly with placing the toppers (should have thought it out more), but he's happy with it. It's a vast improvement on the first cake I ever made for his 3rd birthday lol

smittyditty Posted 31 Aug 2013 , 1:07pm
post #20 of 62

Lizzy I love cakes like that!

AZcouture why are you annoyed? Hope it wasn't my message, if it was please please stay.

All the work everyone is doing is so fun to watch. Also making a tiara with an extruder I'm assuming you just used gumpaste mix and let it dry? How did you attach the pieces Royal Icing???

AZCouture Posted 31 Aug 2013 , 1:29pm
post #21 of 62

ALol,, nooooo, just poking fun at another thread where someone is in a tizzy for no good reason at all, and are offended and annoyed.

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 31 Aug 2013 , 2:50pm
post #22 of 62

Barbie is really stylin in her zebra dress! Love the mermaid. I hope I have the talent and patience to do figures like that someday. The same with the butterflies! Brettley, I love the color combos of that top cake and my granddaughter would be thrilled by that crown. When she is not being a firebreathing dragon, she is a princess. lol

I am still waiting on color decisions for my Diva mask. I have added some Swarovski crystals to it so far and am anxious to get to work on it. Not much else in the way of decorating this week. Just a simple carrot cake and some swirl cupcakes.

Very exciting...I got an order for an 18" stand from a very well known client. It's being made now. I can't wait to get pics of it with her cakes. Then I can really work on my website and advertising. I also went back to my metal smith with an updated design for my leveler. Fingers crossed that this one will be usable with 3 blades at time...

31 days until I am out of a job and start Baking/Pastry school so I'm hoping these enterprises will keep food on my table! lol

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 31 Aug 2013 , 3:03pm
post #23 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

Well, I am offended and annoyed, so I am leaving. But first, I"ll throw a little tantrum, then flag the mods, then I'll hang out and watch people ask why and beg me to stay. Then I'll leave. icon_wink.gif

auntginn Posted 31 Aug 2013 , 4:40pm
post #24 of 62

ninie, your cake is adorable.  I think your figures are quite cute.

catlharper Posted 31 Aug 2013 , 5:36pm
post #25 of 62

Ninie, my 12 year old just threw a party over your cake! LOL! A real Adventure Time fan<G>

Batter Up: Hey there Barbie, Let's Go Party! LOL! It's not my taste in color schemes but Jillian is going to love it! LOL!

manicgeisha Posted 31 Aug 2013 , 5:50pm
post #26 of 62

Ooh, I love the AT cake!

My cake had a little meltdown.   Woke up to puddles in the border, and BIG droplets on the sides and top.   I tried to clean it up but it was just making a mess of the smooth frosting.   I really need to figure out the culprit, I`m mortified it keeps happening to me.   The topper also developed a wicked lean, I think that I didn`t use enough armature to account for the 6 ounces of hair.  Also wanted more height so I switched from 8 to 6, and the topper looks uh...monumental.   

ericapraga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericapraga Posted 31 Aug 2013 , 6:10pm
post #27 of 62

Snow White Cake with Matching apple cupcakes

This is an Icing Smiles cake-Snow White and some apple cupcakes. I, again!, had a humid, warm, rainy day to try to work with fondant, so it is shiny from condensation. But at least it doesn't go into droplets or anything, and it dries by the time I deliver.

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 31 Aug 2013 , 6:16pm
post #28 of 62

AWell I just got in my order of cake dummies and just got an order for a shoe & a purse for Tuesday. Looks like I'm gonna be busy

auntginn Posted 31 Aug 2013 , 7:04pm
post #29 of 62

Oh.. I love the whole mermaid cake, and erica you could never tell that was the problem.  Lots of people wet the fondant to get that shiny look.  It's still a very nice looking cake.  I'm sure that little girl is going to be one happy lil girl.

smittyditty Posted 31 Aug 2013 , 7:32pm
post #30 of 62

Yes I agree I wish I had that wet look erica!

Such pretty cakes they all are turning out so well.

Azcouture- I seem to always miss those threads...I guess what ever the original topic is I just am not interested in so I don't see em.

There are a few of those on here.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%