California Food Cottage Law

Business By CupcakeMoma Updated 31 Aug 2013 , 12:41am by ccjones5

CupcakeMoma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakeMoma Posted 30 Aug 2013 , 9:18pm
post #1 of 4

Hello fellow bakers/decorators!

Good news if your in California they finally passed the Food Cottage Law and I'm planning on going for it!

I do have a question for those of you that might have more knewlege in this field.

I'm currently renting a house in which I would like to start the cake business in and I just wanted to know, do I need to imform the owners that I'm starting a home business? Does it affect their taxes or anything else in any way? What about their insurance or do I need to provide my own insurance? I have rental insurance, would I need another type of insurance???

Sorry if this is a repeat question, I did try looking online.

Any help would be great!

Thank you!

3 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 30 Aug 2013 , 9:48pm
post #2 of 4

AYou shouldn't need to inform your landlord, but I would double-check your lease to see if there are any restrictions on commercial activity...if there are restrictions you would need to negotiate with the landlord.

As far as insurance, you would need business liability insurance in addition to renter's. You can get this coverage from FLIP for $300/year: http://www.fliprogram.com/

CupcakeMoma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakeMoma Posted 30 Aug 2013 , 10:40pm
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft 

You shouldn't need to inform your landlord, but I would double-check your lease to see if there are any restrictions on commercial activity...if there are restrictions you would need to negotiate with the landlord.

As far as insurance, you would need business liability insurance in addition to renter's. You can get this coverage from FLIP for $300/year:
http://www.fliprogram.com/

Thanks again Jason for the great advice! :)

ccjones5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccjones5 Posted 31 Aug 2013 , 12:41am
post #4 of 4

AI am in California. When I got my business license the owner I rent from had to sign the application and agree to allow me to have the home business.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%