Torte Or Bake Two Seperate Layers?

Decorating By es329 Updated 30 Aug 2013 , 11:34pm by MimiFix

es329 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
es329 Posted 30 Aug 2013 , 11:19am
post #1 of 15

AIs it better to bake one big cake and torte or just go ahead and bake two thinner layers? Possibly a stupid question, but will it taste different? I usually have a hard time getting my layers even. Right now my only tool option is one of those little Wilton cake levelers which I have heard don't work?

14 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 30 Aug 2013 , 12:11pm
post #2 of 15

AI think its more efficient to bake one and torte. No there's no difference in taste. I have an Agbay, so I can torte and level in one swipe.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 30 Aug 2013 , 12:52pm
post #3 of 15

AI think it's better to torte, it looks nicer and I feel like the filling blends in to the cake better. I level with an ikea leveler which is similar to the Wilton one and I'm happy with it.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 30 Aug 2013 , 3:03pm
post #4 of 15

I bake all separate layers.  The cakes spend less overall time in the oven and no part of the cake has to bake longer to get the inside done.

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 30 Aug 2013 , 3:28pm
post #5 of 15

I used to bake deeper cakes and then slice them into layers but have since started baking thinner layers.  The time in the oven is less which makes even baking easier.  They also cool quicker so you can get to work quicker.  I guess you get a little more wastage if you have to cut off a dome but mine usually get eaten up by the family quickly enough!

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 30 Aug 2013 , 3:52pm
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflakebunny23 

Hi Snowflake... Love your avatar!

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 30 Aug 2013 , 4:05pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFix 
Originally Posted by Snowflakebunny23 View Post

Hi Snowflake... Love your avatar!

@ MimiFix, Thanks!  It was unusual for a wedding cake but the couple were both airline pilots so made sense I guess... lots of fun to do :-)

didavista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didavista Posted 30 Aug 2013 , 4:40pm
post #8 of 15

AI like to torte that way I can always check the inside for quality control.

Rohini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rohini Posted 30 Aug 2013 , 5:07pm
post #9 of 15

I usually bake separate layers. If there is a little dome I usually take a damp kitchen towel and press down gently as soon as the layers come out of the oven. That way I usually have nice even layers and no wastage at all :)

Rohini Posted 30 Aug 2013 , 5:14pm
post #10 of 15

I usually bake separate layers. If there is a little dome I usually take a damp kitchen towel and press down gently as soon as the layers come out of the oven. That way I usually have nice even layers and no wastage at all :)

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 30 Aug 2013 , 5:41pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohini 

Wastage?  You cheated yourself out of a tasty snack!  :)

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 30 Aug 2013 , 5:46pm
post #12 of 15

i also bake separate layers, this way i can be sure all are even and if there is an extra layer it can be frozen

Rohini Posted 30 Aug 2013 , 7:40pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennicake 

Wastage?  You cheated yourself out of a tasty snack!  :)

He he :) I guess you're right :)

heartsnsync Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsnsync Posted 30 Aug 2013 , 9:37pm
post #14 of 15

For smaller tiers I bake two layers and torte. For larger tiers (12" and larger), I bake four thinner cakes. For one, I don't have to worry about the cake not getting done in the middle. Two, it bakes evenly and faster. Three, it cools faster. Four, I have less issues with the larger cake breaking when torting and layering them. Just my way of doing it. I am sure others have their methods that work just as well for them, too.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 30 Aug 2013 , 11:32pm
post #15 of 15

Even though I have 3" deep pans, I prefer baking thinner layers. (For all the reasons stated above)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%