Decorator Tip Organization

Decorating By smittyditty Updated 29 Aug 2013 , 10:56pm by smittyditty

smittyditty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smittyditty Posted 29 Aug 2013 , 6:59pm
post #1 of 13

There was a thread from 2005 but the links to products didn't work. I'm sure somewhere in the mass pages of plain organizing there was a note here or there but I gave up after 4 pages of  non relevant info. So I'm posting again.

I know you can use a tackle box but I would like something else if possible. In this day and age they have to have created something better.  I have so many tips I've grown well beyond my wilton boxes and I need a solution for the 100s I've accumulated. I know I have an addiction. Also do you all organize by number or style?

Like all flower tips together all leaf tips together how effective is that?

Right now its just Madness. TIA

12 replies
shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 29 Aug 2013 , 7:08pm
post #2 of 13

Maybe something like this?

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=82988&catid=802

There are lots of those plastic organizer boxes around.

I don't have that many tips.

kkmcmahan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkmcmahan Posted 29 Aug 2013 , 7:31pm
post #3 of 13

I have a container for my tips similar to what shanter has a link to and I think they work great.  I organize them by number but I also have the Wilton Decorating Tips poster on the wall right above it (although I am now getting away from the Wilton tips).  Each drawer is labeled with the number range that is in the drawer.  I also have a few larger ones that I keep things like couplers, bags and nails in.  For me, it works pretty well.

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 29 Aug 2013 , 7:57pm
post #4 of 13

AA plastic container with a bunch of little pull out drawers. I've seen them at craft stores. And then I stick sticky notes on the front with the numbers. And then I have them grouped by round, open star, closed star, etc etc. and in each group it's organized by number

smittyditty Posted 29 Aug 2013 , 8:01pm
post #5 of 13

Thanks shanter and kkmcmahan I'll settle for that if need be. It takes quite a bit of space for me but if I have to I'll go with that. Right now I'm digging through a ziplock bag and going through wilton cases..not working. I was so frustrated last time I needed a tip and my next cake will need more. I need a solution asap. I like that container better than the tackle box because I can label the outside to see what I have. Still haven't decided if I'm going to organize by number or design.

Any other ideas for storage please keep em coming.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 29 Aug 2013 , 8:01pm
post #6 of 13

I use one of those things with the little drawers that Shanter posted too, and have labeled the front of each with an indelible pen. And they are organised going up in numbers, with leaf tip types together, star tips in a row, round tips in a row, petal tips together, a draw for couplers etc.

kkmcmahan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkmcmahan Posted 29 Aug 2013 , 8:04pm
post #7 of 13

What is nice about these containers is that you can store a lot of tips and the container can sit on a shelf or hang on a wall.  You might want to take a trip to the hardware store and just see all the different ones they have (look in the tool section, typically they are used to store nuts and bolts, etc.).  Have fun.

smittyditty Posted 29 Aug 2013 , 8:37pm
post #9 of 13

Thanks Shanter...you always find it!

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 29 Aug 2013 , 9:11pm
post #10 of 13

Love these, with the inserts, but they're pretty pricy.

http://www.containerstore.com/shop?productId=10000332&N=&Ntt=organizing

shanter Posted 29 Aug 2013 , 9:43pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyditty 

Thanks Shanter...you always find it!

My sister calls me the Google Queen. king.gif

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 29 Aug 2013 , 9:53pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj 

In my OCD dream kitchen, I would have these. Different colored cases for round tips, star tips.....and color coordinated mixers....and cake stands. icon_wink.gif

smittyditty Posted 29 Aug 2013 , 10:56pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj 

Those are neat but I can see the tips rolling to the back of those and me saying a few choice words to try to reach them.

Also the Wilton Chart some are mentioning is it better than the Ateco book?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%