Completely Edible Graduation Cap?

Decorating By HayleyH Updated 29 Aug 2013 , 6:01pm by thecakesister

HayleyH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HayleyH Posted 29 Aug 2013 , 10:03am
post #1 of 6

Hi there, I'm making a graduation cap cake for my friend next week and all the recipes I've seen have required me to cover cardboard in fondant for the top however I want my cake to be completely edible. Does any one else know of anything else I can use? Thank you!icon_smile.gif

5 replies
doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 29 Aug 2013 , 11:11am
post #2 of 6

If you add some tylose powder to fondant it will harden up pretty nicely. I roll it out about 1/4" thick and cut the square part and also a long strip about 3 inches tall. I wrap the strip around a soup can or a can of crisco, depending on how big you want the hat. Let both dry for a few days. Once dry you can glue the 2 pieces together with a bit of melted chocolate. Add the tassel and you will have an edible hat. Personally I don't like the taste of fondant so i wouldn't eat this! Here are some examples of a hats that I made.

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 29 Aug 2013 , 12:04pm
post #3 of 6

nice...did you buy the silhouette or cut it out yourself?

mightydragon663 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mightydragon663 Posted 29 Aug 2013 , 12:53pm
post #4 of 6

I made a graduation cap some years ago, using a large square sugar cookie as the top.  I covered ti with butter cream.  It does need some support as it was pretty heavy even without being covered in fondant.  A good gingerbread cookie recipe would work as well. 

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 29 Aug 2013 , 3:32pm
post #5 of 6

BatterUpCake, thanks I just cut them out myself.

thecakesister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakesister Posted 29 Aug 2013 , 6:01pm
post #6 of 6

AI used a half small ball pan for the hat base and the covered a gingerbread cookie with rolled fondant to match the tassel was fondant allow to dry resting over a flower form. Attached the cookie and tassel with royal icing

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%