Best Caramel Mudcake Recipe

Baking By Nadiaa Updated 2 Dec 2014 , 10:21am by mcaulir

Nadiaa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nadiaa Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 4:04am
post #1 of 54

Hi, I have found a recipe for caramel mudcake that is (in my opinion) perfect. Sweet, but not too sweet with a lovely caramel flavour and just the right amount of muddiness :) I made white chocolate BC to go with it and everyone loved it! So I thought I'd share the recipe. I originally found the recipe on Taste . com . au I will look no further for my perfect caramel mudcake recipe because this is it. And I might add, it makes your house smell amazing! I was swooning. 

• Melted butter, to grease
  • 200g butter, cubed
  • 200g white chocolate (Nestle brand), chopped
  • 200g (1 cup, firmly packed) dark brown sugar
  • 180ml (3/4 cup) hot water
  • 1 tbs golden syrup
  • 2 tsp vanilla essence
  • 2 eggs, at room temperature
  • 150g (1 cup) plain flour
  • 150g (1 cup) self-raising flour
  •  
  • 1) Preheat oven to 160°C. Brush a round 22cm (base measurement) cake pan with melted butter. Line base and side with non-stick baking paper.
  • 2) Place butter, chocolate, sugar, water, golden syrup and vanilla essence in a heavy-based saucepan. Stir over medium-low heat with a wooden spoon for 5 mins or until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth. Set aside for 20 mins to cool
  • 3) Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Sift combined flours over chocolate mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until well combined.
  • 4) Pour mixture into pan and bake in preheated oven for 50-60 mins or until a skewer comes out almost clean. Stand cake for 20 mins before turning onto a wire rack to cool. 

53 replies
cakefat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefat Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 4:43am
post #2 of 54

I've used this recipe before and really liked it a lot as well. I didn't use Nestle white chocolate though..I used another brand- that is the only substitution I made.

Nadiaa Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 5:45am
post #3 of 54

Yes, I didn't use Nestle either icon_smile.gif

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 9:35am
post #4 of 54

Naadia - I couldn't resist and it's in the oven as I write, the house is smelling divine. I will keep you updated when it's done.

Thanks!

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 9:43am
post #5 of 54

Thanks Nadiaa.  You can never have too many mud cake recipes.

cakefat Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 10:05am
post #6 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazza1 

You can never have too many mud cake recipes.

So True! Mud cakes have become one of my favorite types of cakes around. 

didavista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didavista Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 10:33am
post #7 of 54

Athanks for posting...I have to ask though what is golden syrup?

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 11:11am
post #8 of 54

Once again thanks, the cake is out the oven and cooled down and absolutely delicious!

cakefat Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 11:17am
post #9 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by didavista 

thanks for posting...I have to ask though what is golden syrup?

It's an Australian product- it's syrup that literally is golden in color. I'm not sure if you can get it in the US...maybe at a specialty store?

edit' I guess you can get it in the UK too.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 11:17am
post #10 of 54

Thanks Nadiaa, I have added this to my list of stuff to try. I regularly make white chocolate mud cakes and cupcakes, but have yet to try a caramel one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by didavista 

thanks for posting...I have to ask though what is golden syrup?

Golden syrup is a British product made by Tate&Lyle. It is similar in consistency to corn syrup or glucose, but it is a golden colour. 

Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 12:03pm
post #11 of 54

Thanks Nadiaa for the information.  I had pinned this recipe and even bought the golden syrup but never made it.  Will definitely be making it soon.

fillylily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fillylily Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 12:34pm
post #12 of 54

AThanks for posting the recipe Nadiaa. I have made chocolate mudcake before but never tried the caramel version. Sounds very delicious. Will definitely make it this week. Incidentally can you ice this with chocolate ganache?

Daisyblue002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisyblue002 Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 12:45pm
post #13 of 54

Thanks so much for sharing the recipe! Think I'll try this one on the weekend. I normally make a chocolate mud or white chocolate mud and this is perfect to change it up.

Nadiaa Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 12:47pm
post #14 of 54

AClaire, I'm so glad you love it!! Fillylily, yep, you can definitely ganache it.

It didn't even occur to me that some of you might not be familiar with golden syrup. Sorry! I'm glad it wa sorted out though.

mbranko24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbranko24 Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 6:14pm
post #15 of 54

AFor those of us in the States you can buy golden syrup on Amazon and from King Arthur Flour.

What us vanilla essence? Is that extract?

Nadiaa Posted 29 Aug 2013 , 12:14am
post #16 of 54

Hi mbranko24 :) Yes, vanilla essence and vanilla extract are essentially the same thing. I think extract is a slightly better quality than essence, but you could even use a vanilla paste if that was your preference. All vanilla is good! 

Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 29 Aug 2013 , 12:52am
post #17 of 54

One of the supermarkets in my area had golden syrup.  It was Stop & Shop.

fillylily Posted 2 Sep 2013 , 10:01am
post #18 of 54

A

Original message sent by Nadiaa

Yes, I didn't use Nestle either :)

Hi Nadiaa ... I made a 12 in / 3 in chocolate mudcake...This size cake i have never done before. Because of the size of the cake tin i tripled the recipe which was perfect amt but the baking took forever almost 5 hrs in very low oven heat .. 130 deg... I only put 1 flower nail in the middle and a very wet terry towelling strip around the pan. Its still dry on the sides of the cake. What should i have done to get it perfect? And why is iy taking this long to cook? I am desperately in need of experts' advise. I have to to make this cake perfect for my daughter's wedding in 6 week! Help!!

Nadiaa Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 12:17am
post #19 of 54

Hi fillylily - I'm sorry, I don't know the answer to your question. Maybe being in the oven so long caused the sides to dry out too much? Perhaps instead of tripling the recipe, maybe bake it in the layers you need, rather than having a big cake you need to layer. I hope someone can give you the answer, I've never tripled this recipe so I really don't know xxx

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 2:43am
post #20 of 54

I cook mudcakes in 12 inch tins all the time. You don't need to cook it so low. 150 will be fine. I never use flower nails or baking strips either. I cover my tins with foil to keep the top from burning, and it also makes my cakes rise more evenly. If the edges get a bit dry, I wouldn't even worry about it. After feezing, even the dry-ish edges are pretty moist.

fillylily Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 9:28am
post #21 of 54

A

Original message sent by mcaulir

I cook mudcakes in 12 inch tins all the time. You don't need to cook it so low. 150 will be fine. I never use flower nails or baking strips either. I cover my tins with foil to keep the top from burning, and it also makes my cakes rise more evenly. If the edges get a bit dry, I wouldn't even worry about it. After feezing, even the dry-ish edges are pretty moist.

Thanks Mcaulir. How long do you cook your 12x3" mudcakes for. First time i tried it still took that long (5 hrs) and middle was still undercooked. When i took it out of the oven it looked great, risen really well. But soon after the middle sank a bit. Incidentally, can you cook a 2" thick mudcake in a 12x3" deep pan? I just cannot find a 12, 9, and 6" x2" in Australia. Anyway, i will soldier on and try again for my daughter's sake.

Nadiaa, my daughter wanted me to make this cake for her wedding in7 weeks time, God help me. That's why i mustn't give up. This is her favourite. I bake this a lot but in a standard 8" pan.

mcaulir Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 11:39am
post #22 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by fillylily 

Thanks Mcaulir. How long do you cook your 12x3" mudcakes for. First time i tried it still took that long (5 hrs) and middle was still undercooked. When i took it out of the oven it looked great, risen really well. But soon after the middle sank a bit. Incidentally, can you cook a 2" thick mudcake in a 12x3" deep pan? I just cannot find a 12, 9, and 6" x2" in Australia. Anyway, i will soldier on and try again for my daughter's sake.

Nadiaa, my daughter wanted me to make this cake for her wedding in7 weeks time, God help me. That's why i mustn't give up. This is her favourite. I bake this a lot but in a standard 8" pan.

Maybe 3 hours max? If you're putting wet strips etc around your tin, that will make it take longer to cook. Mud cakes take a lot of abuse - you don't need to be too delicate with them.

The middle being undercooked will cause the sinking, so when it's cooked properly, it shouldn't do that. Use a wooden skewer to test done-ness. It should come out clean. Then leave it in the tin until it's cool, then wrap it up in a couple of layers of glad wrap and put it in the freezer. Let it freeze completely, then let it thaw and try it. The freezing adds moisture if you're even slightly worried about it, but I bet it will be fine.

You can absolutely cook a 2-inch layer in a 3-inch tin. Just put less batter in. I usually put more than I need in so I can level. Putting the foil over the top will make them rise really evenly, though, so you don't need to level much.

I didn't actually read the whole thread, but if you're wanting a  caramel cake, I just make a white chocolate mud cake and stir through a tin of Top and Fill. I've had success with that.

fillylily Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 12:03pm
post #23 of 54

A

Maybe 3 hours max? If you're putting wet strips etc around your tin, that will make it take longer to cook. Mud cakes take a lot of abuse - you don't need to be too delicate with them.

The middle being undercooked will cause the sinking, so when it's cooked properly, it shouldn't do that. Use a wooden skewer to test done-ness. It should come out clean. Then leave it in the tin until it's cool, then wrap it up in a couple of layers of glad wrap and put it in the freezer. Let it freeze completely, then let it thaw and try it. The freezing adds moisture if you're even slightly worried about it, but I bet it will be fine.

You can absolutely cook a 2-inch layer in a 3-inch tin. Just put less batter in. I usually put more than I need in so I can level. Putting the foil over the top will make them rise really evenly, though, so you don't need to level much.

I didn't actually read the whole thread, but if you're wanting a  caramel cake, I just make a white chocolate mud cake and stir through a tin of Top and Fill. I've had success with that.

Thanks for the tips Mcaulir. I will try that again. And if that fails again i will try a 2" and sandwich the layers with choc nuttercream perhaps? My daughter wants chocolate buttercream for frosting. And i am making a chocolate mudcake. This is the original recipe from Epicurious Chocolate:

1 1/2 cups of strong brewed coffee 250 g unsalted butter 1/4 c brandy 150 g dark chocolate (i used Cadbury dark cooking chocolate) 2 cups caster sugar 2cups plain flour 1 tsp baking soda A pinch of salt 2 eggs beaten 1 tsp vanilla

It says to bake on a 135 deg oven for 1 hr and 30 min

I did this on an 8" pan and it came out perfectly.

mcaulir Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 2:31am
post #24 of 54

This is the recipe I use all the time:

http://www.exclusivelyfood.com.au/2006/07/chocolate-mud-cake-recipe.html

I just use all dark chocolate, not a mixture. I think doubling the recipe will give a pretty high layer in a 3-inch tin.

Two 2-inch layers sandwiched together will work fine. I do that all the time, but with ganache. Don't underestimte how much buttercream you'll need - It will be a lot! You might need to make it pretty stiff for between the layers - a 12 inch mudcake is heavy!

I always cook this one at 150 - I haven't tried cooking at 135, so not sure how that would work.

Not sure what other size tiers you're making, but mudcake is super heavy, so if you're putting other tiers on top, plan for a heavy cake when finished.

mcaulir Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 2:32am
post #25 of 54

Oh, meant to say that I think you're better off overcooking than undercooking mudcake because of the aforementioned sinking. Mudcake can cope with a bit of overcooking.

fillylily Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 3:22am
post #26 of 54

A

Oh, meant to say that I think you're better off overcooking than undercooking mudcake because of the aforementioned sinking. Mudcake can cope with a bit of overcooking.

Point taken Mcaulir. I so much appreciate all your tips. At the moment I am trying a Betty Crocker chocolate cake called "best ever chocolate cake". Will decide which one to use depending on the outcome of this cake. And thanks for the link. Will try this one too.

mcaulir Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 6:19am
post #27 of 54

I'm keen to hear how you go!

Tails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tails Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 12:06pm
post #28 of 54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nadiaa 

Hi mbranko24 :) Yes, vanilla essence and vanilla extract are essentially the same thing. I think extract is a slightly better quality than essence, but you could even use a vanilla paste if that was your preference. All vanilla is good! 

Vanilla extract contains alcohol, and its made from real vanilla pods..

Vanilla essence doesnt, and usually made from synthetic vanilla (ie just a flavour, nothing from real vanilla pods).

That's the biggest difference :) I make my own vanilla extract :)

Nadiaa Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 11:22pm
post #29 of 54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tails 

Vanilla extract contains alcohol, and its made from real vanilla pods..

Vanilla essence doesnt, and usually made from synthetic vanilla (ie just a flavour, nothing from real vanilla pods).

That's the biggest difference :) I make my own vanilla extract :)

That is very cool! I used to use vanilla essence all the time...let's just say now I've used extracts and pastes I'm never going back :)

Fillylily - I hope your cake turns out wonderfully!!!

fillylily Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 2:51am
post #30 of 54

A

This is the recipe I use all the time: [URL=http://www.exclusivelyfood.com.au/2006/07/chocolate-mud-cake-recipe.html]http://www.exclusivelyfood.com.au/2006/07/chocolate-mud-cake-recipe.html[/URL]

I just use all dark chocolate, not a mixture. I think doubling the recipe will give a pretty high layer in a 3-inch tin.

Two 2-inch layers sandwiched together will work fine. I do that all the time, but with ganache. Don't underestimte how much buttercream you'll need - It will be a lot! You might need to make it pretty stiff for between the layers - a 12 inch mudcake is heavy!

I always cook this one at 150 - I haven't tried cooking at 135, so not sure how that would work.

Not sure what other size tiers you're making, but mudcake is super heavy, so if you're putting other tiers on top, plan for a heavy cake when finished.

I am planning to make 12-9-6" cake. If i use mudcake i wasn't going to split and fill, and fo tiers, just use single layers. I made this Betty Crocker "Best Ever chocolate cake" recipe yesterday on tge 12 " pan. Didn't reduce oven temp but used my terrytowelling baking strip and the cake came out perfectly. Yey!! I will still try your mudcake recipe today, because if that will work out i would much rather use mudcake. My daughter's favourite. From the heart, ThNks for your time with me and my baking woes Mcaulir. I truly appreciate it. ❤

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%