Employed By A Bakery??

Business By Mheaps07 Updated 28 Aug 2013 , 3:39am by jason_kraft

Mheaps07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mheaps07 Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 1:03am
post #1 of 9

AI am an at home baker, i have grown my business pretty well from my home but i am looking to be hired for a local bakery. Doing it at home is becoming too stressfull. How would you work out the number so you wouldnt be making too much less. Would you ask for a percentage of each cake? Hourly wages just wouldnt cut it. I will be the only cake decorator at this bakery.

8 replies
kaylawaylalayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylawaylalayla Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 1:18am
post #2 of 9

unless you arealready in the middle of arranging something, I think most bakeries will pay you an hourly wage :/

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 2:01am
post #3 of 9

AHere's one way to look at it: you are scaling down from two jobs (running a business and making cakes) to one job (making cakes), so you can expect a significant pay cut.

Why is your home bakery too stressful?

Nadiaa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nadiaa Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 2:08am
post #4 of 9

I'm guessing it would be an hourly rate because you'd be employed by the bakery. And even if you are the only decorator, and they paid you on a cake-by-cake basis, you'd be getting paid less for each cake by the bakery than you'd charge from your home business because they would want to be making a profit. 

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 2:17am
post #5 of 9

AIf you're planning to bring all your existing clients with you then I think you should ask for some sort of arrangement to be compensated for that, but whether you'll get paid in any way other than hourly for your work will depend on what the bakery wants to do.

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 2:31am
post #6 of 9

Be very careful bringing your clients to this bakery!!!

If things don't work out (if you hate the job) and you ever want to go back to doing your own thing, there's a percentage of them that you will loose forever. You may loose them only because they didn't know you left that place.

Also, I've gone to work at a bakery only to discover their work stinks (dry cakes, snippy owner) and I don't want anyone to ever think that's the quality of my work. Your old clients will expect your old quality.

Based on my experience, you'd be smarter to just keep your mouth shut and work as someone's employee.Your not all of the sudden a new partner in their business. Keep the two things separate.

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 2:40am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mheaps07 
 How would you work out the number so you wouldnt be making too much less. Would you ask for a percentage of each cake? Hourly wages just wouldnt cut it. I will be the only cake decorator at this bakery.

It's up to the bakery. You can ask for a percentage of each cake but what if their quality isn't great and in time there's not a lot of volume, you could be making less than min. wage this way. Every job has a certain amount of side work and dishes they expect everyone to share doing...........if your not being compensated hourly that could send things into craziness with their expectations for you verses what you think you should do....not to mention how it effects other employees when they have to clean up after you.

Mheaps07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mheaps07 Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 3:11am
post #8 of 9

AThanks everyone, nothing is official we are just talking. I am not even sure how everything is going to work but it will only be part time and i will be baking my own cakes with my own recipes. I want to do this because i really need a break from kids and it is getting too stressful doing it in my kitchen with kids. And the mess is just crazy!

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 3:39am
post #9 of 9

A

Original message sent by Mheaps07

Thanks everyone, nothing is official we are just talking. I am not even sure how everything is going to work but it will only be part time and i will be baking my own cakes with my own recipes. I want to do this because i really need a break from kids and it is getting too stressful doing it in my kitchen with kids. And the mess is just crazy!

Can you hire someone to watch the kids while you work on orders? If you work in a bakery you'll need child care anyway.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%