Cake Boss Software

Business By ThreeWishes Updated 11 Nov 2013 , 7:25pm by olukad

ThreeWishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeWishes Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 6:01pm
post #1 of 16

ADoes anyone know...does the Cake Boss software help you set up your system with a wizard or do you just install and have to figure it out on your own? I'm thinking about buying it but don't want to give up on it if it's hard to set up initially.

15 replies
daniellepghbake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daniellepghbake Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 6:44pm
post #2 of 16

I was just researching it as well, and I assume that it's like a wizard... I sure would hope for $150!

They have "How-Tos" on their website as well to help learn how to use it.

MJSCakes2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJSCakes2010 Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 11:44pm
post #3 of 16

I have just been looking at to buy it too...sounds amazing & if easy to work should make pricing so much easier,I am in NZ so would be paying more than $150.00 close to $200.00 so want to make sure is the right thing to do...can anyone give advice on this please. :-)

Sakura Blossom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sakura Blossom Posted 30 Aug 2013 , 3:05am
post #4 of 16

AI just bought it, today and love it. You need to install it first. Then no wizard to help you but at each module, let say customer order, on the right corner there is a video on how to that will show you how that part of the software works. Honestly, I did not have that much time to play with it, since I was in busy in the part of entering all of my ingredient cost and recipes qty. The most boring part!!!

I did try a fake an order just to see how it works and it is very easy to work with. Once all the data entry in stored, it will really make my life easier about figuring all my real cost.

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 30 Aug 2013 , 3:43pm
post #5 of 16

I got it a while ago and for the most part, I'd say it's great but I have found that you have to do things in a very specific order or it has a barny.  Once you have created an order (real or a test), I haven't found a way of deleting it (so you will have a lot of imaginary cake orders to start with!).  You need to spend a good amount of time setting up and entering all your ingrediants but once you get the hang of it, I'd say it's a very useful tool.

SanDiegoBeautifulCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SanDiegoBeautifulCakes Posted 30 Aug 2013 , 4:55pm
post #6 of 16

We thought about buying the software, just to get an idea of what was in it as far as features. But I asked what type of database is uses, and how can I backup the database, or export data from their database. After hearing the answers I was given, we are passing on this software. We will keep using the web based .NET software that uses a true SQL Server database as the back-end that I have developed.

The most important thing about a front-end and database back-end, is how easily may one extract the data, and how easily may one perform a backup and restore of the database. Once something happens to the database, where is the backup that one can restore and be right back in business like nothing ever went wrong.

We can log in from any where on the planet to use and see the software in the bakery. I can easily add modules or remove modules when needed. I have been thinking about selling this software, but just do not want to deal with it. I may change my mind some day.

Beth & Andrew

ThreeWishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeWishes Posted 30 Aug 2013 , 4:59pm
post #7 of 16

AMy awesome brother in law has offered to build me a database for free so I'm going to take him up on the offer. Maybe one day...if I start up my business...I'll try it out. But for making cakes for family...I think I'll stick to my database for now. Thanks all for your input!

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 30 Aug 2013 , 5:34pm
post #8 of 16

A

Original message sent by SanDiegoBeautifulCakes

I have been thinking about selling this software, but just do not want to deal with it. I may change my mind some day.

There may be quite a bit of demand for a more open cloud-based solution similar to Cake Boss, especially considering Cake Boss does not work with mobile devices. I had looked into building something on the Force.com platform with a subscription-based pricing model, but I just don't have the time to devote to developing and supporting it.

auntiem9597 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiem9597 Posted 30 Aug 2013 , 5:35pm
post #9 of 16

I bought it last year and have found it very helpful.  Easy to use, just takes time to input all the info initially, such as any ingredients that are not built in, your supplies, etc.  And you can delete an order, use the red "x."  You can also mark it as completed.  I like that you can upload pics into it so you can have a go to folder for pictures, notes (like this bride is detail crazy, don't bring up mother in law, no pink anywhere), etc, that are not seen by the client or printed on anything.  I felt it was pricey, but if you are going to use it frequently, it will cut down on your planning time, leaving more time for decorating.

mrbakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrbakery Posted 24 Oct 2013 , 3:22am
post #10 of 16

I read on their facebook page that they are in the processes of creating a cloud based version.  I hope they still keep the original though.  Personally, I am not a fan of cloud based programs.

olukad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
olukad Posted 11 Nov 2013 , 5:27pm
post #11 of 16

A

Original message sent by mrbakery

I read on their facebook page that they are in the processes of creating a cloud based version.  I hope they still keep the original though.  Personally, I am not a fan of cloud based programs.

I am not a fan of cloud based programmes either. And, yes, the cloud based version is on sale. I have been using the desktop software from May 2009. I must confess though that I haven't always used it because I don't always gave my desktop handy when customers call to make an order. Lol. I would really like an ipad app for this which would be handy for me, but a cloud based programme gets my thumb down.

jason_kraft Posted 11 Nov 2013 , 5:44pm
post #12 of 16

A

Original message sent by olukad

I would really like an ipad app for this which would be handy for me, but a cloud based programme gets my thumb down.

I'm curious, why do you have a negative opinion of cloud-based software?

olukad Posted 11 Nov 2013 , 5:53pm
post #13 of 16

A

Original message sent by jason_kraft

I'm curious, why do you have a negative opinion of cloud-based software?

Cloud based systems must be accessed ota which isn't 100% available , not even 90% available! Imagine not being able to access info when I need it? Secondly, if it's my hungry, it would prove unnecessarily expensive. And, twirly, I get this feeling that the info isn't really safe up there in the clouds. Lol. It's too out of my hands and I'm not such a control freak. Hehehe!

jason_kraft Posted 11 Nov 2013 , 6:05pm
post #14 of 16

A

Original message sent by olukad

Cloud based systems must be accessed ota which isn't 100% available , not even 90% available! Imagine not being able to access info when I need it? Secondly, if it's my hungry, it would prove unnecessarily expensive. And, twirly, I get this feeling that the info isn't really safe up there in the clouds. Lol. It's too out of my hands and I'm not such a control freak. Hehehe!

I believe the target market for this particular cloud software is mobile devices. I can't speak to Nigeria's mobile infrastructure but in the US it should be accessible pretty much anywhere on a smartphone, and if you are using a tablet to take orders you would presumably have wifi.

The additional cost for the cloud functionality is a one-time $49 upgrade (if you own the previous version) and $20/year, which is reasonable.

Cake Boss Cloud runs on the Microsoft Azure platform, which has several security features to safeguard data (see link below). I can understand your trepidation, but cloud platforms such as Azure are used by many businesses and government organizations to hold critical data and have gone through extensive security auditing. http://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/support/legal/security-overview/

olukad Posted 11 Nov 2013 , 7:23pm
post #15 of 16

AAutocorrect on my tablet garbled some of my words. Yes, I know that it's targeted at mobile devices- been looking for one for 2 yrs now. Why can't it just be an app on my tablet? I would be upgrading from CakeBoss 2010 so that is 49 dollars - no problem with that.. Why do I have to pay yearly for the privilege of using softwRe I paid for already? That is in addition to my other reasons. Ad infinitum 20 usd. Hmm. ,

olukad Posted 11 Nov 2013 , 7:25pm
post #16 of 16

AI do have wifi and also a sim in my device for cellular connection on the road.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%