Red Whipped Icing?

Decorating By es329 Updated 27 Aug 2013 , 2:22pm by coke

es329 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
es329 Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 2:06pm
post #1 of 2

AIs it possible to color whipped icing red? Or will it end up more pink? Any tips?

1 reply
coke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coke Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 2:22pm
post #2 of 2

This is  something that I saved from a unknown source a long time ago, the koolaid works great!               Red has got to be one of, if not THE hardest colors to come up with. Never, ever start from white (assuming you are working with b'cream). Instead, tint the icing a bright, bold pink before adding any (Wilton "no taste red" available @ Micheals) red gel/paste.
Then it will take much less and should not get that bitter taste many complain about.
IF you can tollerate (sp?) flavoring I recommend you add about 1/4 tsp UNsweetened KoolAid powder (per 1 cup of icing). (I have never actually measured how much KoolAid I add,) Any flavor that is red will work....personally I prefer black cherry. I've had people tell me strawberry has more color to it but I don't really think so icon_smile.gif When using KoolAid it really needs some 8-12 hours for the color to develop so color the icing the night before. Let sit on counter overnight, the next morning .....there might be many black specks - which are undissolved KoolAid granuals -but don't panic.....just give it a good stir & they will disappear icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%