Giant Cupcake With Candy Shell Ok To Stack On A Cake And Transport?

Decorating By punkin90 Updated 27 Aug 2013 , 11:23pm by punkin90

punkin90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkin90 Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 1:31pm
post #1 of 6

Hi all! I have been asked to make a birthday cake with a bottom cake/tier and put a  giant cupcake on top. They want no fondant. I have done a few of the giant cupcakes with a candy shell. Mine always get a little crack. I don't know why. I trim them down and make my shell thick. It happens after I put the cake into the bottom liner and I am able to repair it with more melted chocolate. I have searched and found pictures of the giant cupcakes tiered and I believe they have chocolate liners. I called Wilton yesterday because I could not figure out the serving size on the cupcake pan (12-15). While they were on the phone I asked if the cupcake in a candy shell would be ok to stack and was told probably not. The shell may crack. Now I am all nervous about doing this. Has anyone done this with success delivering the cake already stacked? Thanks for your help!

5 replies
ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 2:02pm
post #2 of 6

I would definitely not travel with it stacked because I always travel with a center dowel and this would crack the chocolate shell.    I would put supports in the bottom cake and sit the giant cupcake on top at the location. 

punkin90 Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 4:02pm
post #3 of 6

ddaigle You are so helpful! When I make my shell I usually make a hole in the bottom of the shell by "rubbing" a dowel rod in circular motion in the center of the shell before the chocolate sets up. That way I will have a hole  to support the cupcake during transportation. I have only made the cupcake on a cake board by itself with a center dowel to keep it from toppling over. I was hoping I could use the center dowel in the bottom cake and then slide the cupcake on top of the dowel. I was thinking that it would be more unstable since it was on top of another cake and might crack the shell?

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 4:04pm
post #4 of 6

Well if you have done it that way successfully before..then go for it.   Those shell bottoms drive me nuts.   It always take me about 3 tries to get it right.  I would be skeerd. LOL

punkin90 Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 4:15pm
post #5 of 6

Too funny! Actually I am always skeerd icon_biggrin.gif when I do a chocolate cupcake liner. They always crack on me no matter how careful I am. Have searched everywhere and done everything. Maybe this time, fingers crossed.......Anyway, I was just worried that if I did go ahead and tier and dowel the cake that the shell may crack from sitting on the other cake because I know it will be less stable. Not sure if I will be able to deliver this one myself.

punkin90 Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 11:23pm
post #6 of 6

Has anyone stacked a 2 tier cake with a cupcake on top with a candy liner and a dowel rod to transport?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%