Has Anyone Done Horizontal Buttercream Bands??

Decorating By NekosDemon Updated 26 Aug 2013 , 3:36pm by km0806

NekosDemon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NekosDemon Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 3:17pm
post #1 of 3

Hello Everyone  :)

I have a bride that changed her design last minute from rustic to something like this (see photos). Which totally caught me off guard  :(  I haven't attempted this style with buttercream yet. May I ask for some guidance please. What should be the tip you use? I was thinking perhaps a Large Rose tip?.. and how to keep the lines straight and continuous? I was thinking my best turntable and something to rest the bag/hand on to keep the buttercream band perfectly straight. I was also thinking I would pre stacking the cakes too. The cake has to go over a small mountain to the venue (a barn) over an hour away from me. Originally she picked out a 2 tiered rustic cake with burlap flowers, now the cake is a 6,9, and a 12" with no decorations.

2 replies
ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 3:29pm
post #2 of 3

I have about 3 different size large basketweave tip..without the ridges.  I would use one of these.  Start at the bottom and work your way up.    Add more liquid to your BC so it comes out smooth with no ripped edges.   

Get  coffee can or something to practice with and  so you can see how you are going to move your turntable.

km0806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
km0806 Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 3:36pm
post #3 of 3

AI did a wedding cake somewhat similar to that and I just iced it south and used a spatula to make the ridges. If I am looking at the picture right.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%